Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

Best Onsen in Nagano 2007/6/25 12:21
2 questions

What is the best Onsen in Nagano and why?

By having one tattoo on my upper arm restrict me in any way enjoying these Onsen
by krazi-kev  

Iwanoyu 2007/6/25 16:33
Supposedly, the best onsen in the Nagano area and in the whole of Japan is Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen (mA̓). It scores best in Robert Neff's book and you'll need to book at least 6 months in advance to have a chance of getting a room. It's very expensive though. Waypoint: N36.58120 E138.33084
http://www.hikyou.jp/nagano/seni/seni.htm
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Seni Onsen 2007/6/25 16:39
It is true. You need to book about six months ahead for weekdays and one year for weekends. I recently booked a night for December.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Wow!! 2007/6/25 16:43
I envy you Uji-san, please report back about your experience there. I tried to book this year but since I first had to book the flight, we came up empty. Next time, I'm going to book way ahead of booking the flight ^_^;;

Yudanaka? 2007/6/26 05:44
We stayed at Ryokan Yorozuya, (Yoroduya) at Yudanaka Onsen for a night.

I sent them emails in English, but got no reply, but Japaneseguesthouses helped us out with a booking and we did it via them IIRC. Spectcular rotemburo. Marvellous indoor bath, and huge, more modern, private bath. Great food. Expensive, but there's a cheaper annexe. Not much else to see in Yudanaka, but a pretty train ride up from Nagano on the Dentetsu line through lots of orchards.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Senjukaku 2007/6/26 07:39
Thanks for the replies. I was seriously considering SENJUKAKU however the one suggested looks very very nice. Whilst I am not Rockerfella but rather the other fella.........I will make exceptions for a good place. Will be with the inlaws in Tokyo for 2 weeks prior to a trip to Nagano and after 2 weeks with family.......I will treat myself to some serious R&R because I will have earned it.
by krazi-kev rate this post as useful

R&R in Nagano 2007/6/26 12:46
Actually any advice on R&R activities in Nagano will be appreciated
by krazi-kev rate this post as useful

Winter Visitor 2007/6/26 13:02
Winter Visitor, I was thinking of either staying in Yorozuya or Kanaguya at Shibu Onsen when I am there on my next trip. Did you hop over to Shibu Onsen? If so, will you recommend it over Yudanaka?

As for Yorozuya, do you feel that there's a lot of differences between the main and annex buildings to justify the cost difference?
by Nana rate this post as useful

Seni Onsen Iwa no Yu 2007/10/31 21:45
Uji san,
Could you please advise me what so special about this
Seni Onsen Iwa no Yu ?
I have never had onsen experience,let's alone the most expensive one. Any advice is much appreciated.
by liem rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/31 21:49
what kind of price would you be looking at for a whole weekend there?
by Brian rate this post as useful

Re: Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen in Nagano 2007/10/31 22:30
Could you please advise me what so special about this Seni Onsen Iwa no Yu ?

Let me refer you to an interview with Bob Neff that is online and describes this onsen:
http://www.bochibullets.com/061106neff-onsen.php

Re: Price 2007/10/31 22:37
what kind of price would you be looking at for a whole weekend there?
According to their web page, they have rooms ranging from 24,000 to 34,000 yen with an extra charge for 2000 yen for holidays and weekends.

With today's rate of the yen / US$, that would be about $450 for a two night stay in a weekend in the cheapest room.

... 2007/10/31 23:34
Well, that's not really bad. If it's for an anniversary and you wanted to make it special that's ok. Then again I wouldn't go there for a casual occasion :)

Unless I got straight A's on my A levels :P
by Brian rate this post as useful

seni onsen 2007/11/1 00:20
(qs) The prices have probabaly gone up? Just called the onsen and got lucky for one night on Dec 5 for 36850 Yens per person per night.I have been informed that there are three types of accommodation : first one 42000 yens ( before taxes) ,second 36850 yens ( taxes included),third one 30000 yens excluding taxes.

Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen in Nagano 2007/11/1 10:05
Thanks Kappa for the link.
I hope the place is as good as what Bob Neff said.

... 2007/11/2 08:31
Uji san,
Could you please advise me what so special about this
Seni Onsen Iwa no Yu ?

I will be able to tell you after my visit in December. I think that the

Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen 2007/12/8 22:59
"Iwanoyu at Seni Onsen (mA̓) scores best in Robert Neff's book"
I visited 5 onsens this trip. Onsenkaku,, Furosoto, Iwanoyu , one in Beeppu with the mudbath,and one in Ibusuki with the sandbath. They are all special,and unforgettable.
However, Iwanoyu is so special ,that I was not surprised when told for a weekend stay a year advance booking was necessary.
It has only 18 rooms, but has 4 private baths ( one indoor with one bath ; the other three are outdoor and has 2 baths each,one has actually 3 baths),1 mixed cave bath ,2 single sex cave baths and 2 single sex indoor baths.
The service and the room were impeccable.I could not find other word to describe it. To describe more, may actually lessen any surprises for any propective guest.
Dinner was not served in the bedroom,but in a special private dinning room. Mine lasted 3 hours.
This ryokan is more for a special treat rather than a casual visit.I highly recommend the place, especially for couple.
The rates are quite high , 30k yens,35k yens 42K yens PP before tax . I noticed that the 30 K yen room was very nice; the 42 K one was bigger,and I found our room the 35K one was perfect

Nagano 2007/12/9 11:50
where in Nagano? Nagano city?

Nagano is a place of many nice onsen/ryokan spas with gotenburo or natural outdoor spring pools, I would check this one out, it's clean and in beautiful setting. Not too expensive nor cheap.
This one is in Matsumoto-shi, Nagano.
Shirahone spring.
http://www.awanoyu-ryokan.com/gensen.html
by cc rate this post as useful

Iwanoyu 2008/1/4 03:22
How was Iwanoyu onsen, Uji-san?

... 2008/1/5 10:32
How was Iwanoyu onsen, Uji-san?

The best onsen ryokan I have stayed at so far! The building complex is extremely atmospheric. The room and service superb. The cave onsen unique. The private baths very nice and easy to use. The food was also very good, although not quite as perfect as the rest of the stay.

In any case, this ryokan is worth to plan a trip to Japan around.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

reply to this thread