Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much money for a 7 day Tokyo stay? 2007/7/29 21:43
I have my plane,hotel, and airport bus through a tour company. But I am wondering how much money is minimal to get around and eating in Tokyo, aside from souviniers. I hope to bring at least $1200, but have difficulty saving.
by Skot Gibbs  

... 2007/7/30 11:34
by Uji rate this post as useful

How much money? 2007/7/30 16:27
similar questions have been asked many times and usually end up in spirited discussions as some people like to spend a lot, others don't.
my friends and I get buy with
50 $ US per person per day for meals, snacks and fees to museums or temples etc. we don't drink beer, alcohol etc. I would think that 100$ US per day would be more than enough. of course if we see something a tad expensive that we really like (art books, clothes, etc.) we use credit cards.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

As with any holiday... 2007/7/30 19:41
...it depends on how you intend to live. If you eat out at restaurants and cafes for every meal, you holiday will cost more. However, you will save money if, like me, you perhaps eat out for one meal a day, but prepare all other meals at your hotel with supermarket-bought food.

Transport also makes a difference. Public transport will work out cheaper than car rental. Walking is the cheapest of all!

Then there are the joyful souveniers. Will you buy souveniers, or will your photos be enough to sustain your memories?

Where will you stay? Are you staying in one hotel for the whole holiday, or are you moving around? Areyou staying at expensive hotels, or dormitories? Are you paying for meals/extras?

It is impossible to say how much your holiday will cost you if you haven't planned all this out. However, I will say this. Whatever you think it will cost, take at LEAST £50-£100 more than that with you... you'll no doubt need it.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Is this amount ok for 3 weeks? 2007/7/31 01:13
Hi I am going to Japan in a months time and I have worked out that I will have over £1000 when I go I am also having a credit card with £500 for emergency use is this ok for a 3 week stay at Japan.
by Chris rate this post as useful

Doubt 1K will last 3 weeks in Japan... 2007/8/1 14:35
Unless you're visiting relatives / friends for a while, I'd be very hard pressed to agree that $1K in cash (and a $500 limit credit card) is sufficient to last three weeks. There's several things you'll need to take into account (as mentioned by other's on this forum) food, how you plan to sleep at night, and if you'll want to purchase a few souvenirs.

Lodging will be the biggest expense while in Japan - accept that as fact. If you're willing to compromise a good bit, you can cheap-out a little on lodging by staying at the "love hotels" for about $60 - $80 a night. Keep in mind that you cannot walk in and out of the room after you have checked in for the night, and don't expect room service, breakfast, or free internet access.
You also mentioned about the possibility of using your credit cards while in Japan. Keep in mind that you'll have to contact your credit issuer to see if this is going to be a problem or not. If not, keep in mind that credit cards are not as widely accepted as they are in the US. Forget about using credit cards at the following places as they typically won't accept them: train stations, doctor's offices (including emergency rooms and dentists), some fast food places (but it's not as much of a problem as it was a few years ago). Japanese ATM's may not accept US credit cards (may have better luck at the post office counter...just be patient when at the post office), so keep that in mind if you have to get a cash advance.

To save money on food, purchase bentos (lunch boxes) at the supermarkets, or enjoy McDonald's (keep in mind that a large drink is the size of small in the US...but the price isn't small).
by Dave rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/1 15:08
Lodging will be the biggest expense while in Japan - accept that as fact. If you're willing to compromise a good bit, you can cheap-out a little on lodging by staying at the "love hotels" for about $60 - $80 a night.

For 6000yen to 8000yen JPY (Please do conversion into whatever your home currency is) a night the poster can stay at any decent business hotel.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/1 15:12
Dave, also, I'm not sure what currency Chris is talking about, I'm not familiar with the symbol, (it might not be appearing right on my computer), so he might not be talking about 1K USD but maybe Pounds or some other currency.

... 2007/8/1 16:18
Chris means UK sterling I believe; I changed the encoding and the correct symbol appeared :)
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/1 17:22
If he's talking Pounds Sterling, then I'd agree with that assertion that 1000 Pounds would be sufficient for a three week stay for a single person. I would have to disagree about the hotel amounts though, I'm not saying that it's not possible to find something for the amount you mentioned, it's that I wasn't as fortunate when I recently visited Japan a few weeks ago to find prices in-line with what you wrote.
by Dave rate this post as useful

Hmm 2007/8/1 17:53
I'd say 1000GBP might be pushing it. I am going for two weeks and thats around the amount im taking.

Of course, if you are staying exclusivly in youth hostels and dorms, that should quite easily get you by.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/1 21:16
Where did you visit, any major metropolitan area in Japan will have business hotels, hundreds of hotels, in Tokyo, maybe thousands all in that price range.

Thanks for your advice guys. Yes it is in GBP and I will be takng over 1000 and having a credit card with 500 also aslong as I know that will be ok for 3 weeks I can rest easy lol. I am planning on staying at youth hostels for most of the time I am there and I am already looking for places I could stay while at different parts of Japan
Thanks again guys :D
by Chris rate this post as useful

reply to this thread