Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Claiming GST in Japan? 2007/11/30 05:04
Whenever I go to Japan I do really heavy shopping, and was wondering what the procedures for claiming back GST (at the airports, etc.) were?
by Shay  

... 2007/11/30 08:13
European VAT can be refunded at Narita Airport:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_16.ht...

Not sure about GST. Which country's GST, by the way?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Japanese sales tax 2007/11/30 10:05
I guess Shay is asking about claiming Japanese consumption tax back as he leaves Japan after making purchases here.

It is possible but there is quite a high minimum amount I believe. I don't know the details I'm sorry.
by Sira rate this post as useful

GST 2007/11/30 10:11
It is an Australia-specific tax: Goods and Services Tax.

It was instituted a few years after the Japanese experience of Sho-hi-zei (Consumption tax), which is specifically for goods, and is (I think) more similar to the VAT.

GST in Australia is usually an added 10% of net value.

by Pericles rate this post as useful

Japanese tax 2007/11/30 11:19
GST is not Australia-specific, both New Zealand and Canada had it for a long time before Australia introduced it.

In any case that is irrelevant, the OP said he/ she does a lot of shopping in Japan and is hoping to claim back tax on the way out of Japan.

He is obviously not talking about European VAT or Australian GST, he wants to know if any of the 5% consumption tax he paid on purchases here can be claimed back. I believe it can, but I don't know the details. Can anyone help out here?
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/30 11:25
I stand corrected.

I, too, need to learn about this.
by Pericles rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/30 11:59
I'm not sure about at the airport but you can do it at individual stores. Here's a link that explains it:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/ttp/sg/09-TouristAttractions/Mediu...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/30 15:57
Japanese consumption tax cannot be refunded at the airport. See yllwsmrf's link on how to do tax free shopping at some major stores in some major Japanese cities.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Tax Free for Tourists 2007/11/30 17:01
When I was at Big Camera and inquired about the Tax Free for Tourists refund, they said that in that case I could not make use of the special offer which meant that the item with the Tax Free for Tourists refund would have been more expensive. I didn't understand the reasoning behind this as the shop could claim this back, right? The special offer we talked about was not the even better offer for members for which you need a Japanese address.

PS: Tax Free for Tourists is about claiming back Japanese sales tax; you still may need to pay your country's duty on the items when you bring them back into your country depending on the local regulations.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread