Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit card in Japan 2007/12/16 00:45
Hello, is it true that credit card in Japan is not widely used ? Thx
by Sofyan  

... 2007/12/16 08:45
That is relative. Depends which other country you compare it to. Credit card use is considerable less widespread in Japan than in North America, but credit cards are not uncommonly used, either.
by Uji rate this post as useful

ok 2007/12/16 11:34
ok thanks, the reason is my travel agent recommends me to carry enough cash as credit card is not as widely used.
by Sofyan rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/16 11:54
One thing you should consider is foreign-issued credit cards are sometimes rejected at the shops (as there're many fraud cases with foreign-issued credit cards). So, it would be better not to depend solely on credit cards.

And it would be better to notify your credit card company that you will come to Japan and use it.
by JLady rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/16 13:14
I must object to the comment made by JLady (about frauds).

Sometimes credit cards issued by non-Japanese banks/card issuers may be rejected:
(1) at a small shop in Japan, for example, who does not have an online system that connects right back to your card issuer to ask for the purchase authorization on the spot, and only because the shop's card company is unfamiliar with the card issuer, just to be safe (afraid they might not get paid later) reject the card, which would be a rather rare occurrence, or
(2) by the issuer outside Japan (meaning your own bank/card company), because the issuer suspects that it is a fraud conducted in Japan (this is why you need to make sure before you travel that you inform your card company that it would be no problem using your card outside your own country).

For the rest of it, the "anywhere, anytime" promise made by major credit card companies/brands such as MasterCard, Visa, and Amex, is honored throughout the world, no matter where the card was issued.

Having said that, not all shops, hotels, or restaurants in Japan accept credit cards to begin with, so it is better not to rely solely on credit cards.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/16 13:57
Credit cards being used and cards being accepted are two different things.

While it is not widely used in Japan by Japanese people and you should have cash or an ATM card to pull out cash, however
I never had a problem having credit cards "accepted" cards at major hotels, department stores, and Japan Railways stations. So if you are doing major purchases at large places then generally cards will be accepted, its the smaller places that you might have problems with.
by John rate this post as useful

Credit cards 2007/12/16 20:18
Sofyan

please enter questions about credit cards in the small window right above the questions. you will get all the (numerous) previous posts about that often asked question. As other people have said, foreign credit cards are used in many places, even in small business hotels. To get cash for small purchases and meals use ATM machines (you must have a PIN numbers with 4 numbers) in the all the Post offices and in all the 7-11 stores. After your trip you should also tell your travel agent to read japan- guide.com. Unfortunately too many travel agents don't travel very much and don't check current information about various countries.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

card use has increased a lot 2007/12/16 21:43
The idea that credit cards are not widely used in Japan is fast becoming outdated. The Saison card is incredibly popular because discounts are offered at affiliated dapartment stores and supermarkets with purchase if you use the card.

When I go to the Seiyu supermarket near where I live I am often the only person I can see who is not paying with a credit card- every one seems to have a Saison card these days, and my husband uses his for any purchase over about 2,000 yen.

Small towns may be another matter but credit card use, while it will never be quite as pervasive as in the US, is pretty widespread here now.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread