Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Boarding schools 2008/2/27 08:02
Me and my friend have been studying the Japanese language, and now want to attend a Japanese school. I am trying to avoid the problem of homestay, so I decided to look into boarding schools. I have been having such a hard time! Can anone give me names of Japanese boarding schools? (not international schools please)

Thanks!
by Kat  

me again 2008/2/27 12:15
one person said in another question that there are no boarding schools in Japan......I just dont believe this because there are so many manga series about boarding schools.....
by Kat rate this post as useful

Boarding schools 2008/2/27 12:23
Kat,

I've never heard of boarding schools in Japan either, and I note that the Japanese Wikipedia article on boarding schools is devoted to boading schools in Europe and America, without mentioning any examples in Japan.

I just dont believe this because there are so many manga series about boarding schools.....

There are also many manga series about kids with tails and eyes the size of saucers...
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/27 13:24
I've never heard of boarding schools in Japan for foreign students that weren't international schools either.

And a google search only got me international boarding schools like this list:

http://www.boarding-school-finder.com/quick_2_2_3_72_0_0_55_...

However, I have been to public high schools that we really strong in a particular sport and the kids on the team lived on campus so that they could spend more time practicing instead of commuting to school. But that's not exactly what you're looking for.

As Dave hints, just because its common in manga doesn't mean its common (or even real) in reality.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/27 13:26
btw, what is the "problem with homestay" that you are referring to? Homestay is one of the best ways to improve your language skills and become more integrated and knowledgeable of Japanese culture. I've known many homestay exchange students in my time in Japan, and they all seemed to benefit greatly from the homestay experience.

Thanks 2008/2/27 23:25
Thank you....in fact I did find a boarding school in Japan....only one though.....

Also I wasnt trying to sound like an idiot who beleives everything in manga books, but the details written by a Japanese writter in a place with no boarding schools seemed kind of strange to me.....
by Kat rate this post as useful

here is a big list of them 2008/2/28 09:54
If you are looking for schools where all or most students live in one dormitory building and share their lives, there are plenty in Japan.

A quick search on the keyphrase —¾‚Ì‚ ‚é‚Z lead me to Japanese Wikipedia's "list of junior and senior high schools in Japan that has a dormitory".
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AE%E5%...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Problems w/ Homestays 2008/2/28 14:12
I can understand her not wanting to be in a homestay. I had many many friends who where exchange students when I was in high-school and more than a few had horrible host families ... ones who would order them around, not let them go out with friends, didnt make trips with them, made them do all the chores in the home like slaves .... basically showed a horrid side of america .. so much so that one of my friends refuses to ever step foot on american soil again..

sad.

buuuuut on the other hand, i have known many WONDERFUL host families that traveled with and introduced the exchange student to american culture and learned about their culture as well!!
by Kate M. rate this post as useful

Boarding School 2008/6/15 08:59
Hey well i was wondering if anyone knew where there are good Japanese boaring schools for girls or atleast boys and girls. I want to know because it seems more educational and better then where i go at the moment its badd there are so many gang members and fights my parents dont wanna take me out. But enough of that, i want to know cuz i really want to go to one to get more education and if possible maybe learn that language too my friend is teaching me but not all the time((every 2 months -_- busy life))

Anyone?
by Just wondering rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/15 14:23
To Just wondering,

Does the other posts not answer your question?
by Uco rate this post as useful

boarding schools 2008/6/15 15:06
Meitokugijuku Highschool is all boarding school. Try to find "Zenryousei Koukou" there're more though most of them're religious school.
by sprky rate this post as useful

Yes, there is 2009/2/26 20:14
Yep, there are a few boarding schools in japan.
I used to teach some students on a sat morning who during the week went to boarding school and returned home at the weekends. The name of the school i can't remember,however i believe it was in Kawagoe not too far from cental tokyo.
by robert (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese Boarding Schools 2010/11/5 22:05
I found two Japanese language boarding schools.
Japanese Language
Institute (JLI), IEC
1-21 Yotsuya,
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Japan 160-0004
TEL 03-3359-9600
FAX 03-3359-3931
jli-info@nichibei.ac.jp

KAI JAPANESE
TEL: 03-3205-1356
Email: admission@kaij.co.jp

Just call the telephone number for further details. I hope this will help you. Thanks and good luck.
by Bcottrell15 rate this post as useful

Private schools in Japan 2011/2/17 06:26
Here is a list of several private schools in Japan, and some useful information about each one. Granted, many are elementary and junior high schools, but there are also senior high schools and universities as well.
I hope it helps.
http://educationinjapan.wordpress.com/the-scoop-on-schools/a-survey-of...
by Akemo Morioka (guest) rate this post as useful

Reallly guys? 2011/2/17 12:41
I don't know why people say their aren't boarding schools in Japan. There are TONS. Like not joke. They are for Japanese, Returnee kids and people who speak Japanese like a japanese person. However, I think there is only one that is INTERNATIONAL. That would be Meitoku Gijuku High School
http://www.meitoku-gijuku.ed.jp/tjh/index.html
The school I go to is a boarding school.
http://www.sanyo-jogakuen.ed.jp/
There are lot but like I said earlier they are for Japanese speakers.
If you want to study abroad, you best bet is meitoku but they are prettyyyyyy expensive. about 17,000 USD without the plane ticket.
hope this helps!
by Haruka Nino (guest) rate this post as useful

previously posted 2011/2/17 13:03
You are correct, and many of the previous posters agree with you. But it may be worth pointing out that the OP was looking for non-international boarding schools, and I don't know ife Meitokugijuku (which has been mentioned before) fits their criteria.

Thanx! 2011/4/29 00:07
The school Meitoku Gijuku is GREAT!! I will be going their next year thanx guys! If your looking for a GOOD boarding school you should look up Meitoku Gijuku..........GOOD LUCK!
by Dionna (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread