Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is japanese for Your welcome? 2008/3/9 08:55
I can not find this anywhere...iv'e looked and looked.
by Sayoko313  

... 2008/3/9 09:35
try a google search for:

"your welcome" in Japanese

the first 6 or 7 links have what you're looking for.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

correct spelling 2008/3/9 09:38
I'm guessing you mean "You're welcome" rather than "Your welcome"- try the first one for a more accurate answer.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/9 10:39
I didn't catch the spelling mistake, but funny enough all the websites you get when you do the incorrect spelling have the correct Japanese.

Another interesting thing:
"your welcome in Japanese" gets 7.2 million hits while "you're welcome in Japanese" only gets 1.4 million hits.

What does that say about the English language as used by native English speakers?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

you're welcome 2008/3/9 13:03
Hmm, that's a bit sad, isn't it. It means that hardly anyone knows how to use apostrophes correctly any more, or perhaps they don't even realise that it is "you are welcome".

Two days a week I work as a proofreader so I'm particularly anal about punctuation I'm afraid! I also hate how most people seem to think that you "loose weight".

Anyway, dou itashimashite ;-)

You are welcome 2008/3/10 08:01
All i can come up with is '' iie, dou itashimashite''. This you would say after some one says thank you.
by Markus rate this post as useful

dou itashimashite 2008/3/11 02:23
Not everything translates exactly, I don't actually know the meaning of "dou itashimashite", like for example 'dozo yoroshiku' means 'please be kind to me' but is a way of saying 'nice to meet you'.
by Hackimoto rate this post as useful

iee itashimashite 2008/3/11 13:21
I'm guessing if ''iie -dou itashimashite''

since ''iie ''means 'no''

I think, chances are this is closely alongside the familiar American :
''no/don't mention it''
by Patrick-Australia rate this post as useful

Origin of "douitashimashite" 2008/3/11 17:37
"Douitashimashite" can come with or without the "iie (no)." "Iie, douitashimashite" would be "No, not at all."

I think the origin of this fixed phrase "Douitashimashite" for "You are welcome" in response to "Thank you" is something like "How did I earn it
(your gratitude)?" or "How is it (that you are thankful)? (= No, I've done nothing)" So it's close to "Not at all" in a way.
by AK rate this post as useful

Your Welcome 2008/3/11 19:46
I've never heard people putting iie in front, i would just use "dou itashimashite"
by Neil Duckett rate this post as useful

iie 2008/3/11 22:29
Whereas on the other hand, I have heard it! So it looks like both are used. Just "Iie" by itself seems very common in casual situations.

your welcome in japanese 2008/10/27 05:52
do itashi mashite
by robert rate this post as useful

Do Itashimashite 2008/10/27 23:53
"Do Itashimashite" is " You're welcome" in the sense of "Don't mention it". If you greet visitors, you should say "Yohkoso (irasshaimashita)."
by h2008@jp rate this post as useful

reply to this thread