Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I use bank cards? 2008/5/24 03:35
I would like to know if I can use my bank card in Japan when I go next year. what I mean is can I use it to buy lunch or something? I can't get a credit card just yet because I am under age. I'll bew going with a group organized by my previous Japanese teacher, and we're moving to a different city pretty much every day so I doubt we would have time to travel to a post office to exchange some money. If I can't use a bank card, will a pre-paid credit card work at normal stores? I know Japan is a very safe place but I think it would just be inconvenient to carry a bunch of cash with me.

Thanks for you're help.
by Aaron  

Debut cards 2008/5/24 14:55
I don't believe you can use it to pay with it in stores or restaurants, but if your debit cards is of type maestro or cirrus you can fetch money from ATMs at the post-office or 7/11 convenient-stores.
Since Japan is still very much cash-based and especially in the most worthwhile restaurants no credit cards are accepted, everybody in your group will need to visit an ATM from time to time so you won't be the one to inconvenient the group.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

credit cards 2008/5/24 15:24
Japanese do use credit cards. They actually have a whole slew of them! "there are traditional credit cards that include the five international brands: JCB (58 types of card), Visa (89), MasterCard (81), Diner's Club (11), and American Express (3). You can get a credit card from one of these brands that is further "branded" by another bank, retailer, or entity; including the Post Office, department stores, airlines, etc. These cards are to be distinguished from your ATM card, a debit card (available through the post office and at limited retailers), and a "cashing card" that gets you high-interest loans at "consumer finance" firms"
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Post office 2008/5/24 22:56
Just use your bank card to withdraw money from the bank machine at a post office. Do like a few days worth. Or, get your parents to get a supplementary credit card and let u use it..
by ichinensei rate this post as useful

Credit cards in Japan 2008/5/27 07:25
I just returned from Japan yesterday and have some suggestions about using American credit cards from my experience traveling around Japan. The most reliable ATM machinese that accept American credit cards have been at the train stations of large cities and ATMs located in post offices. Post offices close after normal working hours and are not available at night or on Sundays. The train stations are open 24 hours and have ATM machines that accept US credit cards. Not all ATMs accept US credit cards. Look for the logo of your credit card like cirrus for example. Visa is the most accepted in Japan. And so your parents could get a card with your name on it on their account. You need to set up a PIN number before you go. AAA has a Visa card that is like a cash card and is used for travel. It is part of their travel services. Let your bank know that you will be using the credit card in Japan. Some credit card companies will block foreign charges unless they are notified. We had no trouble with Visa but HSBC Mastercard did not work in Japan for us. As mentioned previously, Japan is a cash based country and so plan to carry enough cash for daily expenses like miscellaneous purchases and meals. Department stores and businesses that have a lot of tourist business accept credit cards.

Although the Japanese do use credit cards in Japan, I did not know that in Japan, as an American, I could get a credit card issued to me without official alien documentation card.

Planning to withdraw enough cash is an important thing to plan. We wasted a lot of time looking for ATM machines because we did not realize that it took time to look for an ATM machine. From the American who is used to being able to go to any ATM in the US and withdraw cash, using cash in Japan takes a lot more effort.
You just need to carry around more cash than you would at home but Japan is relatively safe. Just be careful in very crowded places like crowded trains and be as careful as traveling in the US and you will be OK.
by motsuki rate this post as useful

simplist 2008/5/27 08:26
The simplist and best way to cope, is to use 7-Eleven stores.
They are open early & late, and when you put your foreign card into the ATM, it asks you to select a language.

Mind you, this is ONLY 7-Eleven, not other convenience stores such as Lawson, Family Mart, etc.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

bank cards 2008/5/27 15:54
7-11 made a point of installing ATMs that accept foreign cards 2 other posters have noted that 7-11 have longer hours and thus are very practical. they even have a store locator on their site in English. the site is something like.. Seven bank..
www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

MasterCard 2008/5/28 00:01
motsuki: So I may experience problems with my MasterCard?
by .Den rate this post as useful

20 March, 2009/3/18 19:32
I have a question, too.
I have a HSBC maestro debit card.
Will i be able to use to pay and withdeaw cash in Japan?
Thanks
by brigo rate this post as useful

HSBC 2009/3/18 20:22
I used my HSBC ATM card and it worked fine. Only works on some ATM's though.
by sonny (guest) rate this post as useful

Nagasaki withdrawing cash at ATM 2009/5/31 11:18
I am in Nagasaki now and find it difficult to 1) Exchange money and 2) Withdraw from an ATM. The ATM's do not accept Maestro in all the banks and Lawsons I have tried so far. I have used my card in Narita airport and it worked. Not the case when you come out of the airport it seems. So be careful! Also many banks will not let you withdraw cash with foreign credit cards....so you could be left with 500 yen like me now...
by Colin (guest) rate this post as useful

PO and 7-11 2009/5/31 11:34
According to the Japan post office website, it accepts Maestro cards. What about trying a 7-11 store?
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/31 12:22
Colin,

The Japanese bank network is completely different from those in other countries. So to withdraw cash from ATM using non-Japanese cards with Maestro, Plus or Cirrus logo, please try 7-11 convenience stores, Post Offices, and Shinsei Bank/Citibank ATMs. Other exceptions are those ATM in international airports and special locations where they try to cater to foreign travelers.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

And in addition, make sure before you travel that you inform your bank that you will be using your bank card outside your country, check the fees, and you have your PIN.
by AK rate this post as useful

ATM location 2009/5/31 12:23
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread