Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to reach my goal 2008/6/21 13:52
I am a current student in the US for criminal justice. I am starting a second school to study Japanese. I plan on studying till i get my bachelors in Criminal Justice. So when i am finished i should have a bachelors in Japanese language. My goal is to be a detective in Tokyo or near Okinawa dealing with American tourist or military cases. I have been studying Japanese laws to help in this process. I guess i am wondering what else i need to do to obtain my goal. My main goal is to live, work and die in japan. Possibly join the Japanese military to help in my transition there. Any thoughts on this will be helpful thank you.
by Eric  

Reality check 2008/6/23 10:13
Eric,

I believe you need to be a Japanese citizen to join either the Police or SDF. Japan always needs foreigners fresh out of college to be English teachers though...
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

entry into field 2008/6/23 11:40
Even if you plan on putting in the many number of years in Japan to get permanent residency and eventually citizenship, it's unlikely that you'll be able to enter those fields because of your age. Police recruit young new graduates and these people slowly move up the ranks on an escalator system. Mid-career job transfers into such positions are extremely rare.

Instead, a military police position on an American armed forces base in Japan might be a more realistic option for you.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

Has anyone actually seen? 2008/6/23 12:11
Any foreigners working for the Keisatsu?@I highly doubt they'd ever employ a Non Japanese person who they would let patrol the streets. You don't even see this in America. Most cops are born and bred Americans.
by Nagalumb rate this post as useful

only Japanese citizens 2008/6/23 12:56
No, there are no foreign police in Japan. A police officer is a public servant, and to become a public servant in Japan you must become a Japanese citizen, which takes many years of residence in Japan (i.e. 10 years+) to qualify for if you are foreign-born.

It is the same for the military- this is not really an achievable dream, so it's better to start thinking of something else.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Times change 2008/6/23 13:57
Times change i have a year and half in law enforcement here in the US and the exchange information between countries is becoming more and more common place. Thanks for slashing dreams thou to all who responded. I still have it and I will achieve it no matter the cost. Just remember me when your arrested and I am the one who comes in and talks with you.
by Eric rate this post as useful

... 2008/6/23 14:24
Times change i have a year and half in law enforcement here in the US and the exchange information between countries is becoming more and more common place. Thanks for slashing dreams thou to all who responded. I still have it and I will achieve it no matter the cost. Just remember me when your arrested and I am the one who comes in and talks with you.

Such a childish response to all the people here who are trying to help you put your plans into perspective. You asked for their advice, so be prepared to hear things that you may not want to hear.

They're not trying to slash your dreams, rather point out the realities to you so that you don't blindly work yourself up to future disappointment.

Read carefully and you'll see that they are saying that it is theoretically possible for you to achieve your dream, but because of the citizen requirement it is highly unlikely that it can happen within a suitable time frame (likely more than 10-15 years), which would put you at a severe disadvantage in the hiring process.

Unfortunately, some things may not be realistic despite how much we want them to be or how much effort we put toward making them come true.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

ehhh 2008/6/23 14:31
ehhh which ever. i understand there trying to help....sorta. there information is duly noted. But the response was not and will not be childish. Just stating facts is all. I understand information is not to my liking. but i posted the question for information that useful not destructive. People like those is what stops evolutions of the mind and culture. Open minded people is what makes the world go round. Think positive no matter the outcome. Yes i know its going to be hard to obtain my dream but that is what dreams are. They are something to be sought after. Look at the moon who would have thought that we would make it there. People who are close minded and not optimistic would not have even looked up and thought about it.
by Eric rate this post as useful

just the truth... 2008/6/23 15:15
Eric, only Japanese citizens can become police officers in Japan, end of story- nobody is trying to "slash your dreams", just point out the regulations. What were you hoping to hear, "Only Japanese citizens can join the police but they'll most likely make an exception for you"?

I wish you every success in your life, but just wanted to tell you there is no point hoping for things that just aren't going to happen.

If I as a New Zealander told you I wanted to be president of the United States, do you think it would be better to encourage me, or gently tell me that that was impossible and I would be wasting my time trying?

There is always the MP option if you want to be involved with crime on the bases and the vicinity- I don't see any other option really.
by Sira rate this post as useful

multi cultural society 2008/6/23 16:59
Eric's goal to join JP police force or military is difficult but live all his life part is definately doable. Maybe he can become international private investigator in Japan. I heard Japan imigration law will change soon and accept 10milion imigrants in 30years. We will probably be in need of someone like Eric in the future.
by harada rate this post as useful

reply to this thread