Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese and Native Americans 2008/6/24 06:20
I'm a Half Navajo,1/4 Irish, and 1/4 Viking. I grew up on the Navajo reservation,I have a very distinct Native American Appearance. I was wondering how native Americans are viewed upon by the Japanese culture (Considering the role we took in the past war)My question is will I be discriminated? or welcomed with open arms! I'm not exactly sure what to expect at all. We as a tribe all discuss the bravery of the Navajo code talkers(the unbreakable code an such)even though I kinda frown upon this. since they try an keep the memory of the deeds alive and not keep the past in the past .I want some reassurance that ill be treated equally an without any hidden stereotype. would I be seen as an individual or lumped into a category of a person to discriminate.(Its a stupid question in my opinion but its still one I got to ask) I admire everything about Japan,and I hope one day to stay there as a Mentor. I have been told that I am very wise for my age being 22, I have been wanting to go to japan since I was 10. I never really watched any anime or cartoons. but I watched many films from overseas an the culture just seemed so peaceful an respectful. The stories they tell are much like our own Native stories which depict very close similarities. I was thinking about becoming an English teacher to further improve the quality of life an understanding of individuals. I have always understood that communication between nations is a powerful tool to make the world a better place to live in.( I don't wanna be lumped into the anime fan boy category)since my goal and intentions are pure.

Thanks for Reading this, and I would appreciate any and all points of view, off topic or otherwise.

Thanks.

~Turtle
by TB TurtleBox  

Japanese and Native Americans 2008/6/24 10:06
Turtle,

I think you'll find that most Japanese people know very little about Native Americans and even less about their role in WW2.
In Japan, you will just be another gaijin. If you are interested in Japan and things Japanese, then I would definitely recommend visiting either for a holiday or for a longer period, possibly as an English teacher. You will find that the place is not much like it is portrayed in films or anime, and you may come to love it more or come to hate it, depending on whether or not you come with an open mind.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

another thread 2008/6/24 21:02
There is a rather lengthy thread on this, perhaps in the "Other" category. Try doing a search.
by Tilt rate this post as useful

Nice 2008/6/25 04:09
Thanks You Guys, Realy needed that. Take care ok!
by TB TurtleBox rate this post as useful

an additional answer 2008/6/27 14:53
Hi. This would be closed but I wanna say just a little.
In Japan, not a few ppl are interested in Native Americans.
Your culture and stories attract us.
And (sorry, this's probably a stereo-type image) Navajo's jewelry is extremely popular here.
I know you're not a stereo-type but when you came here, we still ask you of some mysterious stories in Navajo culture.
This's the same for us, most of western ppl ask us of Samourai stories.
But, at least I, wanna have some fine conversations with you.
Because you said that you don't wanna be considered as a typical Anime addict.
I'm really fed up with too many Anime&Manga fans here.
When you came up on "Friend" board, I'll contact you. Remember!
by n-rosa rate this post as useful

i think jppl will be really interested 2008/7/24 07:35
I have quite a few friends who are really interested in Native Americans. I think ppl will be more likely to ask you questions than to not like you, so don't worry. You are from a very unique background so don't be embarrassed, just be proud.
by kel rate this post as useful

Sup 2008/9/22 14:04
Actually brother, I'm 1/4 Cherokee, not much but I've got black hair, brown eyes and less pale skin. My girlfriend (Japanese) thinks it's really cool, and we're kinda fascinated by the connection of Ainu Japanese and Native Americans.

Japanese aren't used to much besides white people, so yeah, expect some staring and questions, but it's curiosity, not really racism. Though there is a bit of that too, but it's just for anyone *not Japanese*
by Chalky rate this post as useful

Oops 2008/9/22 14:06
Forgot to mention, your intentions for going to Japan seem really cool, and I can respect that a hell of a lot more than the anime fanboys who want a free trip to the land of manga and pocky (which is how they see it) :D Best of luck brother
by Chalky rate this post as useful

Not the only one. 2008/10/1 05:00
I am 1/4 Cheyenne and when I went to Japan, there were a few thought I was 1/2 Japanese lol. When I told them I was 1/4 Native American, they were pretty interested. I don't think they know much about it though.

On the other hand I was reading an interesting article (since Japan does alot of Native American DNA research*go figure*) and we have a strand of Asian DNA which throws off the DNA tests all the time.
Also many Japanese got lost on boats very long ago and ended up on the west coast.

They can trace back some Japanese ancestry from Northn California/Washington to Minnesota. Thought that was interesting.

by Spider-man yea cant think of a name rate this post as useful

Navajo vrs Japanese 2008/10/16 13:47
Hello, I know alot of Japanese people that are really interested in turquoise and in turn promote alot of native american artist. Like www.winterhawkjewelry.com and the true native art that uses true and rare materials like bisbee or lander turq.
by Callo rate this post as useful

shop 2008/11/16 10:23
There's a shop in Omotesando that sells native American goods. It's called Ray Tracy, IRC.
by ... rate this post as useful

Spider-man 2011/5/18 23:50
Hey Spider-man, just wanna say thank you for your post. That was very informative! I took an autosomal DNA test that came back saying I am mostly Japanese. I'm an American of Caucasian/Native American (Cherokee/Creek) mix according to my family.
I had wondered if the company had trouble sorting out the Asian from the Native DNA. Of course, they stood by their test.
Interesting about the Japanese landing on the West Coast. Thanks again for sharing.
I hope to visit Japan someday. My cousin is stationed there now. He and his wife love it there!
by Jilvsgi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2011/12/5 06:49
I am native American and Japanese and I would say Japanese people don't have anything against native Americans, I would say that would get along, both have beautiful history and both are related, yes Native Americans are ancient Asians, most native Americans hate hereing this but yes we are ancient Asians, the Japanese and native Americans would get along, I am Black foot and Arawak and japanese. I am ancient asian and new wave Asian.
by Goyathla (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2012/3/22 15:38
I am half Apache and half Comanche and I am from Mescalero New Mexico all of this seem's like great information to know about the people of japan and ..I hope to know more about the japan's culture and as well the people . I hope I get a chance in my youth life to go there and see what it is like to be there and meet the people and share some of my culture with the people of japan.
by Erick Hosetosavit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2012/3/25 11:36
Many Japanese grew up watching Indians & Cowboys as far back as "Row hide" black & white TV movies.
Many have the impression of Indians as the victim. Japan lost the war to Americans, too, no matter who did what.
IMO re:Indian coding during the war is that few Japanese if any would know or care. If you feel over-hyped in your community, then, the US gov. succeeded.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2012/3/28 13:44
Hi Spyder-man

Really interesting what you say. Can you please tell me where I can find more info?
Book? Internet?

Thanks.
by tmsbd rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2012/3/28 15:44
I think the concept of a "native" american would not be something most Japanese have thought about very deeply.
I find most people here automatically think america and europe = white people and often anyone not white is thought to exist just as recent foreigner immigrants in those countries.
Japanese society often uses over simplified models to define societies, races, nationalities and countries. In contrast to the US and Europe, the concepts of race and nationality are mostly viewed as inseparable...that is why citizenship is more to do with DNA blood ties rather than with growing up here etc. This is reflected in immigration laws which are based on "jus sanguinis" model not "jus soli".
Some geographer calculated if America abolished application of "jus soli" since 1850 then 60% of Americans would lose their citizenship.
However, all this doesn't mean people in Japan will not be interested in your heritage or culture...you may find people are more interested than in the US where it is perhaps common knowledge.
I am from the UK, when I show people in Japan pictures of road signs in the welsh language they are amazed. Anything that breaks the stereotype of a english speaking, white skinned, tall, big nose person is probably going to be an interesting surprise.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2012/9/2 16:53
I came across this page and the answers I've read really bring me to incredibly annoying tears (sorry xD) I am Native American also (4/4 Akimel O'odham [Pima]) and I really want to go to Japan, but my mother and father are extremely worried because of the whole ''Raped and entered into human trafficking'' scenario, and the fact that I'm Native means I might get beat up like the Chinese people who come to America and get attacked because they are different thing. They just won't believe that Japanese people aren't like that. (they're REALLY old fashioned, which I frown upon) I hope that I can find more to prove to my parents that Japanese are not all bad like some Americans. Thank you for asking this! I hope you fulfilled your dream in going to Japan & I hope I can come across some Natives, [I don't care if you're from another tribe,] when I move to Japan.
by In A Lucid Dream (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2013/1/27 01:14
There is nothing to fear and a lot of great things to anticipate.
Pure blood Native Americans look Asian and actually our cousins are in central and eastern Asia. That is a fact look at the map and see how close Siberia is to north america. Do not look at the mapo from the equator look at it from the north. Japanese always think I am Japanese, Chinese Chinese Thais Thais Philippinos Philippino etc and Mongolians just do away with everything and call us brothers. I am Navajo not 100% but enough sop everyone assumes I am part Asian or some type of Asian. Once they (Asians and Central Asians inc Kazaks and Uzbels and Mongols etc) know we are Native Ameircans they REALLY love you more ... so go! dont let white people's prejudices keep us isolated from our Asian relatives we are all the same peoples. I think many people who have very little Native American blood do not like the Asian connection because they have convinced themselves that Native people look like those italians in the movies .. NO ! In fact you can tell how pure Native a person is by the fact that they are mistaken for Asians and that is true from Alaska to Argentina.
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and Native Americans 2013/6/2 04:40
This is super late; but in case others view this...

I am also full blooded Native American; my tribe is Navajo also.

I have been to Japan twice to share Navajo culture and many Japanese are very friendly and happy to meet you.

In fact I met a young Japanese woman who said "Ya-at-teeh" to me which was amazing. I also met my host family's friend who loves Native American culture.

You will be surprised to find out how many Japanese people are interested in other cultures and what they know.

Do not be shy to show and represent who you are; there are many who will accept you. :)
by Paru (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread