Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Breakfast in Shinjuku? 2008/9/20 08:10
I'm staying @ the Oakwood apartments in Shinjuku and am wondering if there is anywhere in the area to get breakfast. Anywhere would do since I will be here a few days, but if there is a place I could get a traditional Japanese breakfast in the area I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
by MJ  

... 2008/9/20 08:30
The district is bursting with breakfast options. From convenience stores (under 500 yen) to hotel breakfast buffets (over 3000 yen).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Yes, breakfast in Shinjuku 2008/9/20 08:43
You won't be able to turn around without finding somewhere to get breakfast. All kinds of different cafe chains (there are probably more than 10 Starbucks within 5 minutes of Shinjuku station, plus Japanese chains like Doutor, Caffe Veloce, Excelsior etc). Have a look in the underground shopping areas nearby the station- plenty of choice there, or just wander around and go into the cafe/ family restaurant that takes your fancy. Plenty of noodle places as well if you want to try those for breakfast, and lots of fastfood options of course.

If there is one thing Tokyo does not lack, it is places to eat!
by Sira rate this post as useful

Traditional Japanese 2008/9/20 09:51
Places that offer traditional Japanese breakfast may not be quite as visible as the coffee places, but there are plenty of them, too. If you want something fast and cheap, chains like Yoshinoya and Matsuya offer a breakfast set (such as fish, miso soup, rice, pickles, seaweed). If you want the same thing served on nicer ceramics, the staff at Oakwood can probably steer you toward places in the vicinity. Major hotels will usually have a Japanese restaurant that offers a nice (but usually pretty pricey) set meal. The expensive buffet breakfasts usually have Japanese plus Western offerings.
by Uma rate this post as useful

budgeting 2008/9/20 21:11
Can I ask how much would a typical average japanese worker spend on a meal - breakfast, lunch and dinner? I know it varies, but what is a normal range. i seem to get the idea that a typical japanese meal would cost at least USD30 and above, which is quite expensive.
by Daniel rate this post as useful

Not that expensive 2008/9/20 22:28
You can get a bowl of noodles, or tempura and rice, for 500-700 yen even in Tokyo. Japan is not expensive as some people seem to believe. A coffee is around 200-400 yen depending on the size and where you get it.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/20 23:02
i seem to get the idea that a typical japanese meal would cost at least USD30 and above, which is quite expensive.

How did you get that idea?
I guess it would cost that much if you ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast or high end places for breakfast/lunch and dinner.

Just like many other places in the world you have price ranging from about 1US to 100US ++.

The average person living in Japan doesn't spend anywhere hardly close to 3000yen (about 30us) per meal. I get a nice bowl of rice curry or gyudon for 350/380 (about 3.50us)at Matsuya. Of course there's the good old budget 100yen menu (us 1dollar menu) at McDonalds and other fast food places.
Of course many people people might cook their own food at home as well.
by John rate this post as useful

"ootoya"「大戸屋」 2008/9/24 01:38
If you want to eat tipical japanese breakfast (or lunch, or dinner)in Tokyo,
I recomend "ootoya".
「大戸屋」(this is japanese shop name(kanji), please try to find this shop.)
「大戸屋」has many set-dishes.(we call it 「定食」"tei-syoku")
"tei-syoku" is economy, I think.
Maybe it is eaten 1000 yen or less, normaly.
You can choose various kinds of japanese dish.
For example, Broiled fish dish("yaki-zakana tei-syoku")
Pig's ginger grilling dish ("buta-no-syouga-yaki tei-syoku")
etc.
Have a nice trip!

by mei rate this post as useful

feel good 2008/9/24 17:50
「大戸屋」is good.
by Parbi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread