Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 42

1 2 3
next

Becoming an actress in Japan 2008/12/25 11:48
Hi,when I grow up I'm planning on being an actress and artist in Japan.I'm already in a school for the arts they have art(drawing,painting,etc.) acting,and dance.I'm already in art and I want to get into drama too.I'm learning Japanese already and by the time I'm older I'll probably be really fluent in Japanese.My question is, how do you become an actress in Japan?When I'm a little more experienced, I'm thinking of trying out for disney too so in case if I get a role in something I'll have more experience for when I'm older.I'm determined to make my dream come true no matter what and my parents are really supportive.
by None  

? 2008/12/25 17:37
just curious, why do you want to be an actress in Japan? Why Japan?
by neros rate this post as useful

It seems 2008/12/25 17:42
From what I've read in biographies and news sources, it seems like most Japanese actresses are either scouted or come up through auditions and contests. Of course, there are situations where experienced actresses from really traditional acting troupes (ie. Takarazuka) go into mainstream acting but that's not even an option for you.

As was asked earlier, why Japan of all places? I guess it is good to dream though...
by Bean rate this post as useful

how old are you? 2008/12/25 17:42
I really don't think by the time you're older you'll be fluent in Japanese... you'll have to live there or be surrounded by Japanese in order to be truly fluent. Since you want to be an actress you'll have to know how to read kanji perfectly to read the script. That's not an easy task.
But really, why Japan? You should observe the culture much more carefully before choosing. It's not like how we see it on TV you know.
by . rate this post as useful

Actress 2008/12/26 12:36
first try to become an actress in your country THEN you may have a chance to get a job in Japan. Obviously the majority of actresses in Japan are Japanese so for an unknown foreigner the chances are 1 in many millions.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

hmm 2008/12/26 18:33
then again, if they have a role of a foreigner that needs to be filled she would definately have an advantage there
by jin rate this post as useful

age 2008/12/27 10:05
I'm 10 years old.I've loved Japan ever since I was 4.I just love their culture,their language,and art!I't's kida hard to express why I want to become an actress in Japan.My mom even said she's going to take me take me to Japan one summer when I'm in highschool.All I KNOW IS SOMEDAY I'LL MAKE MY DREAMS COME TRUE!
by none rate this post as useful

You might try this... 2008/12/27 12:05
First off, Merry Christmas...
And yes, dreams do come true...but they take hard work.

There is one man who controls a large majority of Japanese & Foreign talent in Japan, he is an actor himself and you can see him or his shows daily on Japanese television.

His name is kitano takeshi, he is a kind of scary looking guy who is famous for playing gangsters in his earlier movies, but I have worked with people who know him and they all say that he has a heart of gold.

I suggest that you keep working hard pursuing your dreams in your home country until you get into High School and can take your trip to Japan. In the mean time, contact Mr. Kitano and send him a nice email with details about yourself, photos of your acting and art (he is also a painter) and your dream of coming to Japan (and why you like Japan). Keep him informed of what your doing through the year, sending him updates and photos of your latest work and performances... IF your are truly serious about this and keep it up over the years I am sure doors will open for you...
Here is his email address: mail@kitanotakeshi.com You can also find more information about him at these sites, do your homework read what you can about the industry in Japan and best of luck !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeshi_Kitano
by TedinAsia rate this post as useful

people 2008/12/27 15:18
People who've become dramatically influenced by anime is insane. Trust me, you're not Japanese, and it won't happen. Try it where you're from. I'd imagine if Japanese people wanted actors, they'd get JAPANESE actors
by Jey rate this post as useful

no harm trying 2008/12/28 00:15
Well there's no harm givin it a shot..anyway you're still so young so I'd say its a lil too early for you to decide if this is really for you. You might actually change your mind and go into something more serious as you grow older. But the most important thing now is getting into Japan. By saying you want to become an actress there, it means that you want to make a living there obviously. Therefore it is a must for you to get over there as soon as you can so that you will be able to blend in with the Japanese. As others have said mastering the language is the most important as I don't see why a foreigner who can speak perfect Japanese shouldn't be given a chance.

Good luck!
by . rate this post as useful

Naive 2008/12/28 05:39
"As others have said mastering the language is the most important as I don't see why a foreigner who can speak perfect Japanese shouldn't be given a chance."

This is not to be meant as an attack at all whatsoever but I think that statement's awfully naive when it pertains to Japan. Being the homogeneous society that it is, Japan in many ways is still extremely close-minded and unaccepting when it comes to foreigners on TV. Of course, we see a few exceptions to this (Dave Spector, Daniel Kahl, Patrick Harlan, Bobby Ologun, Dante Carver (the Softbank CM guy), Jero, Leah Dizon) but it's so rare. They also tend to make a big splash at first and then simply disappear after a period (Bob Sapp). Of course, we do see many more foreign Asian talents now (BoA, etc) but that's also been a relatively recent thing from the last ten years or so.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying out. It should just be known that the odds are against you... big time.
by Jackson rate this post as useful

korean 2009/1/3 00:39
what about koreans acting in japan? Yes, korea is foreigner, but it's not as big of jump(?). Did that make any sense? ahh, sorry if it didn't.
by Kira rate this post as useful

Well... 2009/2/24 17:40
hey I'm japanese myself and it's not that easy as you might be thinking it is. i want to become a japanese actress myself. As others have already said being/getting fluent in japanese is not as easy as you might think it is. it takes more than just 5 or 6 years...
Also, you might want to think of how you are going to live in japan. everything is expensive in japan like rents. The thing is are you taking any japanese tutoring lessons? because just going to school and learning a bit of japanese like a french course will TOTALLY not be enough to survive in japan. so heres the thing i'm pretty sure you know this already but there is something called kanji, katakana, and hiragana that you have to master which isn't easy at all. also, depending on the person (who is a foreighner) there are people who aren't very good at the pronunciation. which is one of the most important things besides being able to understand and read japanese.
well best of luck to you.
by KAT-TUN 4 EVER (guest) rate this post as useful

oh yes... 2009/2/25 11:14
i forgot to tell you this. if you live in japan for about a year and attend school there you are most likely to become fluent in japanese. if you don't believe me chech out suzuki emi's biography. i think she was born in shnghai and then moved to japan when she was 12 years old and began attending japanese schools and mastered japanese and was able to speak japanese very fluently.
by KAT-TUN 4 EVER (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks for the info 2009/2/25 11:51
I realize that becoming an actress/model in Japan is highly unlikely, but I'm going to give it my all. I know it's super hard for Japanese actor(ess) to become actors in Japan, let alone foreigners, but I think I can take that risk. I know Japan is expensive, but I also read that if you look in the right places, in the right time, you can get a good deal ($500-$700 per month) on an apartment).
Yes, I do know some of the 4 writing systems: I already know kana, and romaji, and I am learning Kanji.

I plan to attend college in Japan, either (if my Japanese is up to par) a Japanese college, or an American college in Japan (such as TUJ). If I somehow do not attend a college located in Japan, I would probably study abroad for a year or two.

I can't really think about which college yet, since I haven't even chosen my future high school.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

CAN U try dabbing job 2009/2/25 16:32
thru getting into a school for SEIYUU/Anouncer.

by the way, I live in kyoto by 400USD / month, and except for Tokyo, you find many chance here in kyoto. for Samurai Movies
by 36madcooky rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/2/25 21:45
Thanks! I hope to get into Avex Artist Academy or major in theater.

That's pretty cheap!

SM Entertainment 2009/3/3 11:37
To anyone who is interested:
SM Entertainment is having an audition.
I think its open to anyone...

I don't work for them or anything, but I know there are people interested in modeling, acting, singing, dancing, song writing, etc. here so I posted it.
Avex may also have another world audition this year, they had one last year, so they may have one this year.

Foreign Actor or Model in Japan 2009/4/13 12:23
If you want to be a foreign actor or model in Japan, I suggest you check out Remonaid Foreign Talent Community. It pretty much explains everything you need to know and has a complete list of gaijin talent agencies in Japan. If you have any more questions, you can use their forum.

http://www.remonaid.com
by mottomatto (guest) rate this post as useful

wow dream crushers 2009/4/14 02:09
some of you are serious dream crushers the only ones helping are kira and mattomotto...anyway yea try SM the are a huge company they produce alot of favorites avex too...there are tons of foreigners...crystal kay black father, lisa half Colombian, lee jun ki korean actor in a lot of Japanese flicks...u might have to try harder but it is possible it's defiantly easier than US at least in japan and korean they have auditions.
by chloe (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 42

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread