Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese National Visa Clarification? 2009/4/23 10:03
Hi everyone,

Can someone help clarify what a Japanese National Visa is and if I am eligible?

I am Japanese-American born in the United States. Both parents were born in Japan. Father was naturalized prior to my birth. Mother was naturalized 15+ years after my birth.

A friend called the Japanese Consulate in LA and was told that I do not qualify for a Japanese National Visa if both parents are currently US citizens.

I then called a month later and was told that because I was born prior to my Mother's naturalization to the US, I AM qualified for a Japanese National Visa. Better yet, I was told that I am eligible for a Japan(ese) Passport (Is this even possible?).

I was also told by a staffing agency in Japan (Who I am currently consulting with) that even if I was a descendant 3-4 generations apart, I am eligible for what he called a "Descendant Visa".

I do plan on contacting the consulate again but wanted to get some forum input.

Thank you all!
by drab07  

. 2009/4/23 14:46
There's no such thing as a Japanese National Visa, if someone is a Japanese National, they get a Japanese Passport because they are legally Japanese. Just like if someone is an American national they get an American Passport because they are American.

A few things need to be done, first, was your birth recorded in your mother's family registry (in Japan) when you were born? This seems to be a deciding factor in many cases.

Also, how old are you now? Japan usually requires someone by the time they reach age 22 to decide if they want either Japanese Nationality or another Nationality (if they had duel nationality). You're technically supposed to renounce one or the other, though in reality not many people do that. (Again this is when it comes to Japanese Nationality).

No such thing as "Japanese National Visa" but there is a "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" Visa.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/24 14:39
A friend called the Japanese Consulate in LA and was told that I do not qualify for a Japanese National Visa if both parents are currently US citizens.

Not true. It's called a Spouse or Child of a Japanese National visa and you can apply for it because at least one of your parents was a Japanese national at the time of your birth.

Better yet, I was told that I am eligible for a Japan(ese) Passport (Is this even possible?).

It's possible. Your parent's koseki will show if you're Japanese. You need a copy of the koseki to apply for your visa so you'll find out for sure when you get a hold of it.
by Jerolm (guest) rate this post as useful

One thing 2009/4/24 15:42
Even if both parents are Japanese there are many cases where they may refuse passport because the birth was not recorded in one of the parentfs family registry.
Like ExpressTrain mentions, it is probably going to be the deciding factor. It sounds like the consulate just assumed that because you were born in the states your parents may not have recorded it in Japan. Assumptions as we know are not always correct :)
by Stacy (guest) rate this post as useful

Next step? Guarantor. 2009/4/24 16:52
"There's no such thing as a Japanese National Visa..."

My appologies as I meant to say a child/spouse of a Japanese National Visa.

I contacted the Japan Consulate today, again. The gentleman informed me that I am in fact eligible for a visa. As long as I was born prior to at least one parent acquiring US naturalization, I qualify, even though they are now US citizens.

I believe I am to show 2 passport photos, identification such as a US passport, suporting documentation such as parent(s) birth certificate (registry or koseki), and parent(s) US naturalization records as part of the visa application process. (All of which is or has already been obtained)

"It's possible. Your parent's koseki will show if you're Japanese. You need a copy of the koseki to apply for your visa so you'll find out for sure when you get a hold of it."

I need to look for my mother's koseki.....But can you clarify on "show if you're Japanese"? Are you speaking of my mother's maiden name? As I am eligible through her. Or if my birth was recorded on her koseki? Which leads to the next quote.

"Even if both parents are Japanese there are many cases where they may refuse passport because the birth was not recorded in one of the parentfs family registry."

It is more than likely that I will not be eligible for a passport as my birth in the US was never recorded in any parent(s) Japan family registry. But who knows? The woman from the other day suggested that it is possible to obtained a passport.

The Embassy now tells me that a Guarantor (which I understand) is required OR at least show proof of financial stability. What if I am unable to find a Guarantor? What defines financial stability? Am I required to currently be working or have income? Or can I have an "X" amount of savings? If so, what is the minimum amount of savings required? If required, is it based on the length or reason of stay? If income is the factor, how would I acquire a job in Japan to financially support me when it is that very same reason that prevents me from fullfilling the visa requirement?

Any suggestions to go about this? Thanks a million. =)

by drab07 rate this post as useful

Parents Family 2009/4/24 17:06
I donft think you will have any trouble finding a guarantor since your parents are Japanese. You must have family there.
As for self guarantor it would be ok if you already had job security but I guess this does not apply to you at this stage. The main thing is you need to show your household will be economically viable. How much money that takes is up to them but I should think it wonft be a small amount.
I'd contact the consulate and ask them what they think :) Of course do not tell them who you are.

by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Possibly no Guarantor but myself 2009/4/24 17:55
''I donft think you will have any trouble finding a guarantor since your parents are Japanese. You must have family there.
As for self guarantor it would be ok if you already had job security but I guess this does not apply to you at this stage. The main thing is you need to show your household will be economically viable. How much money that takes is up to them but I should think it wonft be a small amount.
I'd contact the consulate and ask them what they think :) Of course do not tell them who you are."

I do have family in Japan most of whom are retired. Accordingly to the embassy, the guarantor must be a full-time worker. Family members who do work full-time are very distant from even my parents, hence, very doubtful.

I am more than likely capable of easily supporting myself for 6 months to a year without a job. Eventually I hope to find a job well enough to be considered financially able.

I will definitely be calling the Embassy once again to confirm the financial needs or requirements to be labeled as ''Financially stable'' or ''Self-Guarantor''.

Thanks!

Pensioner 2009/4/24 18:21
Retired peoples can be a guarantor no issues.

Back when I first had to go through this with my then wife I also worried as her family was also retired.
When I checked with the local consulate I found out that a Pensioner can indeed sponsor you, and you actually get to skip one section during your application as a result.
I had no problems whatsoever using my wife's retired parents as guarantor.

I think if you are capable of supporting yourself for 6 months you shouldn't run into any issues anyway. But again, theres no published figured of how much money you need so it really is up to them.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/25 13:31
Just a correction to note that his parents are no longer Japanese.
Also it depends on how much contact with their family back in Japan for anyone willing to be your guarantor, since it's a special case vs. other spouses or childen as your parents are no longer Japanese and no longer living in Japan, thus the Government of Japan doesn't want a bunch of immigrants coming into the country without much financial support.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/4/25 17:42
I need to look for my mother's koseki.....But can you clarify on "show if you're Japanese"? Are you speaking of my mother's maiden name? As I am eligible through her. Or if my birth was recorded on her koseki? Which leads to the next quote.

First, check if your name is on the koseki. If it's not, then you're not Japanese. If it is then check the notes under your name. It's possible that you're listed as a foreigner and not Japanese.
by Jerolm (guest) rate this post as useful

FYI 2009/5/5 15:55
Contacted the Ebassy once again. Found all the information needed:

I am in fact eligible for a child of a Japanese National Visa.

Just one parent is required to have been a Japan citizen during my birth in the US.

If my mother had notified Japan and had my name added to her Koseki during the time of my birth....I would have been eligible for a passport and have dual citizenship.

I do need a guarantor: A retired guarantor with pension may suffice but is rare. If that is the case, there are times where a guarantor can possibly even be in the US, but also depends on the situation and relation. Though there's no set level of savings to be considered as a self-guarator, there has been cases where an individual or couple have been allowed.

I basically got the impression that, their pretty liniant on individuals who are of Japanese ancestory...especially if your 1 generation off.

Anyhow....hope that sums it up. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

~Cheers

reply to this thread