Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu itinerary 2009/5/24 01:56
First time going to Kyushu for a week next month, any suggestions of where exactly to go and see? I'd like to see the city and check out the beaches, as well as the traditional sights.

I'd like to go south to Kumamoto, Nagasaki and Beppu to but not sure which route to take, any advice appreciated!
by Sava (guest)  

... 2009/5/24 07:06
A possibility:

Nagasaki - (train) - Shimabara Peninsula - (ferry) - Kumamoto - (bus or train via Aso) - Beppu

Instead of traveling via Shimabara Peninsula, yo can take a train or bus between Nagasaki and Kumamoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I listed some Kyushu places here 2009/5/24 08:54
Check out:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+4...

for some places around Kyushu.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/24 11:11
We found the car hire from Yufuin was great and saw Mt.Aso and all the surrounding sights in 3 days of comfort, then train to Oita and ferry back via Hiroshima and Miyajima
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

arigato 2009/5/24 15:18
Thanks for all your responses, and Uji for suggested route, but I forgot to mention that I will start from Fukuoka, should I go down that route too? I'd like to take a round trip back to Fukuoka where my flight is too.

Thanks!
by Sava (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/24 21:10
Then, the route would be as follows:

Fukuoka - (train or bus) - Nagasaki - (train) - Shimabara Peninsula - (ferry) - Kumamoto - (bus or train via Aso) - Beppu - (train or bus) - Fukuoka

Or the other way around.

Rail pass? 2009/5/25 01:09
Uji: Thanks again^^ Do you think I should get the Kyushu Rail Pass since it's only 7000 yen? Although 3 days probably won't be enough..

Anaguma: Your extensive list of sights is amazing! Thank you.
by Sava (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/25 07:31
Indeed, three days are not enough. You could go for two 3-day passes for 14,000 yen. Note that the trains and ferries in the Shimabara Peninsula are not covered. But you could take the train via Tosu, instead.

Alternatively, you could consider a SunQ bus pass. It is 1000 yen more expensive, but also covers the buses and ferries on the Shimabara Peninsula. Furthermore, buses are more comfortable to get around the Aso area than trains:
http://www.sunqpass.jp/english/index.shtml

The only question is: are two 3-day passes cheaper than regular tickets? For trains: most likely. For buses: I did not make the calculation.

Imari porcelain 2009/5/25 09:21
Anaguma your knowledge and advice are amazing: thank you. Can you please advise re the "Imari" porcelain; I understand it is made in Arita but was shipped from Imari hence the name. can you suggest places to see it being made, and then places to purchase small pieces: is Saga a good place for Imari-ware shopping? Thanks!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Okawachiyama 大川内山 2009/5/27 15:44
At many Kyushu tourist sites and stores you can sometimes find examples of Arita and Imari porcelain, although choices can be limited or expensive. You can look in the department stores in Tenjin, in Fukuoka. Usually on one of the upper floors there is a pottery section where several types and kilns are represented, usually having better quality items. You can even find some Arita ware in grocery stores, as the quality goes from mass produced up to hand crafted art.

However, if you want to see where it started, and the experience of seeing or making it yourself, you should visit one of the potter's villages in Imari or Arita.

One of the better places, because the kilns are still found in old buildings, and the streets are narrow and fun to wander, is in Okawachiyama. Easiest access would be from JR Imari Station (30 minutes from Karatsu, another famous pottery place) or Kami-Imari station, although there isn't as much info at that one. There's a large Porcelain factory complex on the east side of town, and to the south of that is the "Big River Inside Mountain" (Okawachiyama) village. It is known as the "Village of Secret Kilns," because it's got mountains on 3 sides. There are still some hillside "stepped" kilns (also called climbing kilns) that they only fire up once or twice per year, because they use so much wood. There has to be at least 30 different potteries in this village, as well as the Imari-Arita traditional crafts center that you would pass as you enter the village. tel 0955-22-6333

For information on Arita, you can find it at:
http://www.arita.or.jp/index_e.html

You can also find information at:
http://www.e-yakimono.net/guide/

Porcelain/pottery made in Imari is now also known as "Arita," although sometimes the Imari made is called Nabeshima ware. In general, during the feudal period the Imari Nabeshima porcelain was produced for the shogun and imperial court, and porcelain made in Arita was exported through Imari. So Imari is both pottery made around Imari and pottery made in Arita shipped through Imari, but now it's all called "Arita," since that's where the original kiln was.

My favorite kind is Nabeshima-Seiji, which has a crackled light green glaze, although the type with red, blue, and green colors on a white background is more famous.

The village is about 6 km from Imari station. The bus station is just out the north entrance of the station if you don't want to take a taxi. There is a lot of tourist info there also.

If you get to this village, keep an eye out for the unknown graves of all the Korean potters who brought porcelain art to Japan. Hideyoshi Toyotomi, during Japan's invasion of Korea in the 16th century, packed up all the potters and shipped them to Japan, where they worked for the feudal lords, Lord Nabeshima of Saga was one. Hideyoshi's invasion is also called the "Chawan senso," or "Teacup War," as that was the main thing that Japan gained out of it.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Pottery 2009/5/27 19:59
If you are at all interested in pottery, I would recommend going to Arita, and then taking the train to Imari. It's a small (2 car?) train and the scenery is beautiful - rice fields surrounded by mountains. Then follow the above advice and take the bus from imari station to the pottery village. The scenery there is also beautiful. However, be careful to check bus times, as there aren't all that many busses per day.
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Fantastic!!! 2009/5/30 22:00
Dear Anaguma: thank you SO much for your absolutely wonderful information: this is better than anything I have found (and I had been to your suggested links already: we correspond occasionally with Robert Yellin, who is very helpful as well): we are very interested in ceramics, having organised previous holidays around Mashiko (for Shoji Hamada) and Kyoto (for Kawai Kanjiro).We will definitely follow all your advice, and thanks to "M" as well: this sounds a delightful day in Kyushu. My thanks again to you both
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread