Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living on 3,000 yen for a month? 2009/5/31 10:04
Hi, I'm moving to a rural town in Japan in July for a year with the JET program. They pay you at the end of every month, so I have to survive for one month before I get any money. Problem is, I just graduated from college and my job ended then too--so I'm broke. I figure by the end of these two months I'll be able to bring about $300 with me.

Is it possible to live on just 3,000 yen for a month? Do I have to pay for rent right when I get there, or other expenses? Thanks~
by Betsy (guest)  

. 2009/5/31 17:18
3,000 is about 30 us dollars.

30,000 is roughly 300 us dollars (acutally it's slightly lower but to keep things simple here).

It really depends, doesn't the JET program already cover accommodation? If you have to pay for accommodation on your own, then you are probably really out of luck with just 30,000 JPY for one month, combined with food and everything else.

I recommend borrow some money from folks you know and repay them at a latter date.
by Express Train (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/5/31 18:21
$300 is about 30,000 yen, so I assume that's what you are talking about.

If food is absolutely all you need to pay, you might be able to survive for one month, provided you cook frugally at home, every day, but otherwise it is downright impossible.

Before you come, check with JET what they provide you. I think JET should provide for accommodation, but I don't know if you need to cover utilities - you might want your own mobile phone, you might need to buy some clothing, etc.

Someone reliable on another thread posted recently: "Most people coming here to teach English bring about the equivalent of $3,000USD to start them off."

So yes I too recommend borrowing some money before you come.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/5/31 23:13
If you really have no money, sometimes your BOE will let new JETs borrow against their salary interest free when they get there to set up (like front you $2000, then take $500 back per month for 4 months). This is something you can discuss with your predecessor when you're in touch, they might be able to ask for you. But don't show up with no money and no promise of it- the first paycheck is a ways off!
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

Oh 2009/6/1 06:12
Oops, I meant 30,00 yen! In any case, thanks for your help. I did think it would be rough if at all possible... but I will see if I can borrow any money. When can I expect a letter from my former JET?
by Betsy (guest) rate this post as useful

hmm 2009/6/1 14:51
If you haven't gotten a letter yet, I wouldn't necessarily expect one at all. With the program downsizing, the amount of information most of us recieve about what's going on is negligent and the amount of schools/duties we need to cover can be sort of insane. Your predesscessor could be busy, in the dark, or just plain lazy.

Don't worry about the money though. You will have no major bills due until well after your paycheck and your housing should already be secured.

You should let your school know that you are low on money though, just in case they plan on asking you to attend dozens of enkais or welcome parties (though they're usually very happy to waive the fee until whenever you can afford to pay it).

I try to live on 30,000 a month ANYWAY (after bills and rent) :) It usually works out okay.
by Mia (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/6/2 03:31
Thanks so much Mia for your response! I feel a lot more hopeful. I did talk a little bit with my dad about borrowing some money so we'll see if I can start off a little better than 30,000 yen :)

I hope I still get a letter... I've never been to Japan or anything so I'm really nervous about getting things set up, what to expect etc... but I can speak Japanese pretty well so that should help a bit.
by wakipan rate this post as useful

Initial expenses 2009/6/2 06:32
I think you should plan for unexpected and extra expenses that you'll have to settle in. Things will not be at all what you're used to and you're going to spend more than normal intially just to survive that first hectic and maybe frustrating month. Work your butt off doing anything to bring as much money as you can.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

not nearly enough 2009/6/2 08:21
It is possible to live off as little as 30,000 yen a month once you are established here and know where to buy food etc. at the cheapest places, however when you first arrive and are setting yourself up you are likely to have to spend a bit more and won't be familiar with the area yet to know which shops are cheaper and what prices for items usually are.

I would say you will almost certainly run out of money before you see your first salary, probably long before (do you get paid once a month near the end of the month? In that case it will be around two months before you see a full salary).

If you do manage to survive off that amount you will be eating instant noodles for about every meal and will be staying home most of the time- not so much fun when you first arrive in a new country. You will also be in trouble if any kind of emergency comes up- what if you need to see a doctor? It's not unusual to get sick on first arriving in a foreign country where your body is not yet used to the germs.

If you can possibly borrow the money, get an advance from a credit card or get an advance on your pay from your employer, do so. 100,000 yen would be closer to a reasonable amount to start off with, preferably more.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/6/2 12:31
As a recent former JET participant, I would STRONGLY consider bringing more money than that. Get a loan, a credit card, borrow from family, do something to get more money. You can always return it early if its not needed.

In my prefecture the JET was expected to pay for all accommadation costs - nothing is subsidized. Your predecessor will be able to give you specific infomation.

I would also budget on many small costs that add up, these include going out to eat with your colleages (its summer vaccation so they may eat out a lot), fees for processing paperwork at the local town hall, fees for registering a car, costs of buying necessities for the apartment if needed, cost of new JET parties/get togethers, cost of transportation...

I failed to budget for these small things and quicky found out that they added up and I didn't have the money to cover them. Take in consideration that your predecessor may not remember what their start-up costs were exactly, but do be guided by what they say.
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

startup money 2009/6/3 13:56
If you haven't gotten a letter yet, I wouldn't necessarily expect one at all. With the program downsizing, the amount of information most of us recieve about what's going on is negligent and the amount of schools/duties we need to cover can be sort of insane. Your predesscessor could be busy, in the dark, or just plain lazy.

I disagree with this assessment as the program has been downsizing for years, ALTs have always been poorly updated, and most predecessors are anxious to contact their successors (if only to sell them the stuff they leave behind).

There's a good chance that you will be contacted as it is not at all uncommon for the schools to notify your predecessor of your contact info with less than a month until your scheduled arrival. At this point someone from your school or board of education should have contacted you, and they are someone you can ask about setup money. Most BOE's are familiar with having to help their new arrivals setup and may be willing to furnish you with a loan.

Typical first month costs include:

Key Money/Security Deposit/First and Last Months Rent: up to 300,000 yen
Household items: up to 50,000
Cell Phone: typical phones cost around 20,000 yen, some plans require payment up front for the phone
Parties (welcome and otherwise): figure around 5000 yen per

Of course you may get lucky and have everything provided for you. Check with your supervisor or predecessor.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

bring extra money 2009/7/12 14:06
Hopefully by now you know how much your rent will be. I had to pay my first months rent the first week I was there and of course did not receive my first paycjeck until the next month. I was in the same situation that you were by not having any money. I took out a $2,000 loan from my bank and paid them back in six months. One of the most expensive expenses I had was getting a cell phone.
by kerri (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread