Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima / Miyajima in One Day? 2009/6/19 15:27
Hi All,

Is it possible to cover Hiroshima / Miyajima in one day? Or will two days be better?

Thank you.
by esstee (guest)  

Hiroshima 2009/6/19 15:51
I've done Miyajima, along with the Peace Park, Peace Park Museum, Hiroshima Castle, and Shukkeien Garden in one day. I got an early start and it was quite a busy day, but doable especially as the Hiroshima attractions were relatively close together. I probably wouldn't try to do more than that though as I was exhausted in the end.

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

also 2009/6/19 15:54
forgot to mention that at that pace you can't see everything at each site, for example I only visited about half the stuff on Miyajima.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

tired 2009/6/19 17:05
In one day we traveled from Osaka to Hiroshima by Shinkansen, leaving around 7am ish then onto Miyajima with JR Train and ferry, through Itsukushima Shrine and up the Mt Misen ropeway: 15 mins at the top, back down again and back to Hiroshima for lunch (takeaway we bought at the station and ate at the A Bomb dome) for the A Bomb dome and Peace park: we didn't have time, or actually the inclination, to go to the museum, and returned to Osaka by 7.30pm: we were absolutely exhausted, and slept on the train back! It is doable, even with travel, and I would do it again given time constraints, but it is a huge day. It would be easier if you were staying in Hiroshima each night.
by fmj rate this post as useful

:) 2009/6/19 18:01
As I will arrive Hiroshima at around 3 - 4 pm, and I don't think it will give us enough time to go to either Miyajima or Peace Park, is there any other recommended place of interest I can go after we have checked into hotel?
I hope the next day will give us sufficient time for the 2 places of interest.
Or I should keep one for the 2nd morning?

Advice will be appreciated.

by mtay rate this post as useful

interesting 2009/6/19 18:04
I was also thinking about going to hiroshima and miyajima. But it has never occured to me to do this all in one day. Since I only have a 7 day rail pass (I will receive the voucher in the mail tomorrow!!!) I have only 7 days to visit some places outside of the Tokyo area. This is a very economic solution. Because I already had a feeling that Hiroshima is, apart from the peace park etc, not an extremely interesting place to stay a long time.

I will definitely consider this as well so thank you for bringing this up ;)
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

oh and another thing 2009/6/19 18:07
About Osaka, my friend from Japan told me that Osaka is not a very interesting place to visit, especially if you are also going to Tokyo. It is very much the same in many ways. Also the people appear to be less friendly here, altough this is only hear-say stuff. Maybe you should consider going to Kyoto instead of Osaka?
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

my opinion 2009/6/19 18:33
I'd say one day in Hiroshima/Miyajima is easily doable under the conditions of;
-visiting only the main sights of Hiroshima Prefecture, A-bomb dome, Peace Park and the Shrine
-starting early in the morning, say 7am.

You should stay overnight in case you have something more to see in Hiroshima.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

Osaka and Hiroshima 2009/7/23 01:09
Osaka is a very lovely place. I lived there for almost a year. People usually say Kansai people are generally more friendly than Tokyo people, although that could be because of the impression that they are less refined. They are known for their regional cuisine a lot more than Tokyo is. I find Osaka a lot more manageable than Tokyo, but big enough that you won't get tired of seeing the same thing. You can do Hiroshima in one day though I would not recommend it. If you are visiting the peace park, that takes about whole day to go through and get a true appreciation of it. Miyajima is at least half a day with traveling. Hiroshima okonomiyaki is very delicious, so give that a try as well. Take it slow, you'll enjoy it more!
by MCL (guest) rate this post as useful

skipping reasons you are here 2010/8/3 11:17
Your only ever visit to Hiroshima? Why would you come to this place and NOT go to the Museum?! Wow. Why not spend two days? One night. Come and take your time to actually see the place. Why travel at all if you just want to be ''exhausted'' after rushing about our Peace City?! Really odd thinking. Come in the morning on a nice day and go to Miyajima. Yes, you could rush about it (why not bring your trainers and run up and down the mountain -- or ride a deer! It's faster!), but why bother coming then? After peacefully and slowly enjoying the beauty and many things to see on Miyajima you can enjoy sitting in Peace Park in front of the Atomic Bomb Dome and thinking about the people who were murdered while taking in the beauty of the area as it is today. Then eat some great Hiroshima food -- slowly. Go to bed after walking around the shopping area and get up and then really understand the city by not skipping the Peace Museum but by going there and facing why it is that people actually want to come here at all. After that you can ejoy the rest of the day in a great park. Then you rush on to the next place on your list.
by uf2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread