Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electrical outlets 2009/7/2 11:26
I was wondering if I need to get a converter to charge my laptop, cell phone, etc.
by animefan (guest)  

converter 2009/7/2 12:14
You may need a plug converter, or a transformer, but it depends on where you are coming from.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

????? 2009/7/2 13:31
How can we tell you that if you don't say where you are from?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

oops 2009/7/5 09:06
im from the united states
by animefan (guest) rate this post as useful

no converter for small appliances 2009/7/5 11:44
Hey, you don't need a converter for small appliances, (hair curler, phone chargers, laptop, etc). I live in Japan, and use my American toaster, TV, camera charger, pc, hair straightener, etc, with no problem. Sometimes you need an adapter, if the plug is 3 prong though (japanese is only 2 prong). However, do not use an American hairdryer here, it trips the circuit breaker every time! :)
by aya (guest) rate this post as useful

Check if it's designed for use in Japan 2009/7/5 14:35
Home electric power supply:
- Places: voltages - frequencies
- U.S.A.: AC 120 V / 240 V / maybe 208 V (in Hawaii) - 60 Hz
- Japan: AC 100 V / rarely 200 V - 50 Hz (in Tokyo) / 60 Hz (in Osaka)

In principle, manufacturers won't accept any responsibility for cases in which an electric home appliance designed for domestic use in U.S.A. doesn't work properly in Japan at wrong voltage.
A warranty may have a domestic-only provision, and Japan may be not within the scope of the product support.

As to appliances powered via AC adaptors such as laptop PCs, cell phones, check the spec of the AC adaptor.
If its INPUT voltage covers, for example, AC 100 V - 240 V, it must be designed for use both in U.S.A. and in Japan.
If its INPUT voltage doesn't cover AC 100 V, you are recommended not to use it in Japan. (Maybe the manufacturer offers an AC adaptor which is good in Japan.)
Avoid trying AC adaptors randomly, because also output DC voltages differ.

It's possible to have an AC 200 V outlet for a 3-prone plug in Japan, but most Japan-spec appliances are designed for AC 100 V with 2-prone plugs.
U.S.A.-spec appliances directly powered via an outlet with a 2-prone plug, i.e. those designed for AC 120 V in U.S.A., may appear working well in Japan at AC 100 V, but they don't necessarily work properly.
As to appliances of heating such as hair driers, toasters, voltage mismatch must heavily count. They are not designed for different voltages.
Appliances without heating may work regardless of the small gap of voltages but, unless the spec says AC 100 V is expected, you are recommended not to use that with voltage mismatch.
I guess difference in frequencies seldom causes a problem, but I don't say it never does. I know an old Japanese watch which is designed only for AC 100 V - 50 Hz, utilizing the frequency, and doesn't work correctly in Osaka.

//

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/7/6 09:49
thank you :)
by animefan (guest) rate this post as useful

Question for aya 2009/7/6 13:35
Just wanted clarification regarding hair straightener...did you mean a flat iron?
by aiko2107 rate this post as useful

aya 2009/7/6 18:55
aya, what do you mean by 'it trips the circuit breaker everytime' ? i was thinking of buying a hairdryer from america (i'm from australia) on ebay before i go to japan again because i bought one while there and it was no good at all coz their hairdryers are 1200 watts at most and they just don't do the job, i'm used to 1800-2000 watts. hair will stay straight for 1 hour then frizz up again :( don't know what i'm going to do if i can't use a US hairdryer...
by chuts rate this post as useful

1800 watts - 2-prong plug may be risky 2009/7/10 14:00
: it was no good at all coz their hairdryers are 1200 watts at most and they just don't do the job, i'm used to 1800-2000 watts.

That also depends on models of hairdryers and how a person uses them....

There are at least two types of extension cords for Japan: 1200-watt type and 1500-watt type.
If a U.S.A.-spec appliance with 2-prone plug (for 120 V) labeled as "1800 W" is powered by a 100V outlet in Japan, it will consume about 1300 watts. If "2000 W" it will consume about 1500 watts.
So, such appliances can not be wired via 1200-watt extension cord. If wired so, that may cause fire before tripping the circuit breaker, I mean, before the circuit breaker functions.

If someone thinks like "hairdryers with higher watt value hold the higher performance" then, sorry, that's not correct.
Generally, a watt value on the spec table means electric power consumption (in other words, time rate of energy consumption), unless it's specified that this means another.
It is no wonder that hairdryers labeled as the same watt value work differently.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread