Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I use my U.S. TV in Japan? 2009/8/4 12:20
I have an LCD television from the U.S. and I was wondering if it was safe to use in Japan? I know the Japanese voltage (100) is negligible but the 50 htz (we are in the Tokyo area) might pose a problem. I would hate to burn up a new television due to a 60 htz difference. Please help!
by U.S. television in Japan (guest)  

TV 2009/8/4 16:59
leave it at home, it's no good in Japan!
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

RE: Can I use my U.S. TV in Japan? 2009/8/4 18:11
There is a risk conceivable that no guarantee is given on your TV set as to usage in Japan.

Even if your TV set remains unharmed, it's highly probable that the TV set can not be tuned for TV channels / programs in Japan.
A switch from analog to digital TV broadcastings is now being made in U.S.A and in Japan.
A U.S.A-spec analog TV tuner does not cover some channels in Japan.
On digital TV broadcastings in Japan, almost all TV programs -- including news shows -- are coded for copyright protection, also for prevention against free view as to pay programs. Such coded programs can not be watched without TV receivers adopting a decoding system.

Generally speaking, a concept like "a voltage difference between U.S.A. and Japan is negligible" is not correct. There may well be cases where the difference is causing a trouble, while the user doesn't notice it because the electric appliance is apparently working normally.
Whether frequency difference (60 Hz in U.S.A., 50 Hz in Tokyo) pose a problem depends on models. That's a question to be answered by the manufacturer or the vendor who officially offers technical supports in U.S.A. on your TV set.

When all the problems driving from differences in power supplies are settled, if your TV set has audio and video input lines with jacks common in Japan, maybe you can use it as a monitor connected to a Japan-spec digital TV tuner kit.

Anyway, the first principle is to use Japan-spec appliances in Japan, U.S.A-spec appliances in U.S.A.
I do not recommend using your TV set in Japan unless that has passed checks by a certain professional.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Well.... 2009/8/4 21:25
Let's think a little simpler...what does your TV say about the input power specs? There should be a section behind your tv that says things about the range of voltages it takes and the range of frequencies it takes (all devices that have a power input should have a similar spec sheet for input/output power). If it says 100-240V and 50-60hz, you should be able use the TV.

But like the guy above have said, you may have a problem with tuning into Japanese stations. You can always hook up a separate TV tuner that will go into the TV. (Something like this: http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/100000001000953229/...

And if you are thinking about shipping the TV to Japan...I'm not sure that would be worthwhile :)
by bobaab rate this post as useful

reply to this thread