Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haneda or Narita? 2009/9/3 12:46
I am coming for the first time to Japan. which is better option for me to use airlines operate to Haneda Airport (HND) (like Emirates) or use airlines operate to Narita Airport (NRT) like JAL? I am looking for the airport that give me good experince and exposure to Japan. Thx
by Asim (guest)  

... 2009/9/3 16:03
Almost all international flights use Narita Airport!

As of now, Haneda Airport has only a very limited number of international flights to China and Korea, although a few more international destinations will be added over the coming years.

As of now, your only choice will be Narita, unless you come from China or Korea.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. 2009/9/3 21:38
An airport is an airport what difference does it make. It's what happens after you leave there that's important.
by RodW rate this post as useful

reply 2009/9/3 22:39
Well Haneda is alot closer to central Tokyo (given the fact that it is in Tokyo) so I guess that makes it a better choice if your airline indeed services that airport. Also, Narita beeing one of the worlds biggest airports, its probably easier to get around at Haneda
by Cadere rate this post as useful

RE: Haneda or Narita? 2009/9/4 00:24
You need to show some details to get a clear answer.
Which airport could you come from / via to Japan?
Lands of Japan are located making a long arc.
Which places would you like to tour?
Another airport can be your better choice.

- Tokyo International Airport [Haneda Airport] (HND)
http://www.tokyo-airport-bldg.co.jp/en/flight/intl/time...
- Narita International Airport (NRT)
http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/ais/flightall/e_inter_a...

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Thanks all 2009/9/4 04:34
Thank you all for your assistance. An airport is an airport that is true, but, I consider the airport as an image of the country and represent many cultural and national arts. Also the logistics, services, advertisement, and so on may differ from one airport to another. My visit is short and for business. My question was about which is better and I know that there are different perspectives which I am interested to hear.
I read that Narita is 60 km away and I have no problem with that if the road is interesting.
Haneda is only 16 km but very old may be?!
by Asim (guest) rate this post as useful

Haneda 2009/9/4 07:02
The new wing at Haneda is very new and high tech. The roadway from Narita is not interesting at all, in my opinion.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

IMHO 2009/9/4 07:40
Unless you are flying in from Korea or China, I don't think you really have a choice between the two airports, as *most* international flights land in Narita.

In my opinion, Narita is the international airport, so the atmosphere is grander there. It is about 60km away from central Tokyo, and along the train line, you will get to see somewhat rural, then suburban, then city center views over that one hour or so, which I always enjoy eacj time (I am Japanese).

Haneda used to be the international airport until 1979 or so (forgot exactly when), since when it has been a domestic airport, until again some limited number of flights started landing/departing from there. From there to city center, yes, it is close, but the airport is not as grand as major international airpots, and you are right in the city center as you take a short train or monorail ride, so it (IMHO) lacks the excitement of an international airpot.
by AK rate this post as useful

Whoops 2009/9/4 07:42
Sorry, still sleepy and my hands aren't typing right... I meant "each time" and "airport" there above... too many airpots... lol
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/4 08:08
As mentioned, you really have NO CHOICE as to which airport you are coming from, unless you are coming from some SELECT cities in either China or Korea.

If you are coming from any other country (Emirites doesn:t fly to Haneda)

All other 99% of international flights use NARITA.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Haneda is POSSIBLE 2009/9/9 20:52
Haneda is POSSIBLE, Emirates and Qatar Airways don't have flights to Narita airport, their only japan landing airport is Kansai (KIX), however they offer the possibility of booking a connection flight from KIX to HND operated by JAL/JEX/JTA for a low or zero extra cost.
by SnoopDop rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/9 22:23
If you put it that way anything is possible, just add on that you have to make a international to domestic connection, clear then recheck security with all that additional items, for what purpose? You won't save anytime then if you just go to Narita, you'll probably waste more time.

Though I'm still at a loss to what the OP is looking for. Both are modern busy airports.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

KIX to Tokyo 2009/9/10 06:11
if Narita isn't a landing option, would it be better to take trains in order to get to Tokyo from the Kansai airport, or should one just take the Haneda connection flight ?

Haneda not old at all 2009/9/10 08:29
Haneda is a a very new building, as it has been renovated/rebuilt. The international terminal is tiny, and won't give you much impression of anything. Narita is also a boring, generic airport- if you are hoping for something along the lines of the new Bangkok airport or Singapore airport, you will be disappointed, so don't base your decision on any cultural benefits you think you may get from going through a particular airport. ExpressTrain is right- both are modern, busy airports which could be in any country.

The route from Narita to central Tokyo is interesting enough for someone who hasn't been to Japan before, but if it is at night you won't see a lot until you get closer to Tokyo. With Haneda you more or less are already in central Tokyo, in the port area.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

KIX to Tokyo 2009/9/10 11:16
could someone advise on this please, if Kansai airport (KIX) is the only possible landing location, would it be better to take trains in order to get to Tokyo from the Kansai airport, or should one just take the Haneda connection flight ?

kix to tokyo 2009/9/10 11:28
I'd take the connecting flight to Haneda, from where it is a 20-30 minute train ride to central tokyo. It would be faster and cheaper method assuming you aren't using a Japan rail pass for other travel.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread