Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Single guest at Takaragawa Onsen? 2009/12/22 02:58
Hello,
I have a couple questions actually. I would like to stay at or near Takaragawa Onsen, preferably in a ryokan, for a night or two. All of the online forms indicate 2 guests by default, and don't bring up any results when I select 1 guest, but I am traveling alone. Are there rooms for single guests? how would i book this? And what are the chances of staying there with a day's notice, especially now near Christmas?

If not, maybe I can stay somewhere between Tokyo where I currently am and the onsen and do a day trip. I have a bit of luggage since I am staying a couple weeks.
Thanks!
by Ryan (guest)  

Same question 2010/1/27 03:48
I have the exact same question regarding onsen ryokan in the Minakami area for a single traveler. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Josh
by SemiJoshu rate this post as useful

Onsens 2010/1/27 07:31
Unfortunately most onsens don't allow people to stay by themselves. It's less profitable to only have one person in a room made for 4-6, and it can actually be quite dangerous to bathe by yourself. As most baths are open 24 hours, if someone is in the bath by themself at 2am and faint, then there might not be anyone around to help them.

Your best bet may be to find a hotel in Minakami itself and then daytrip to the local onsens on the buses. Takaragawa is actually do-able in one day. If you leave Tokyo at around 8, you can be there for 1pm, and if you leave at 5 can be back in Tokyo at a good time.
by Abbott (guest) rate this post as useful

indeed.. 2010/1/27 13:41
Thanks for the info! I'm already back, but this is exactly what I did. The JR pass made it well worth it, it was a few hours on Shinkansen and then a bus, but Takaragawa-onsen is such an amazing place!

i should have asked when at the hotel what their single visitor policy was, but it was difficult because we didn't speak much of each other's language..

The only thing i wish they would do different is not keep the bears in those tiny cages, it's not necessary as a tourist attraction and only looks cruel to me.
by Ryan (guest) rate this post as useful

for the single traver 2010/1/27 15:40
This is how I've done along with many Japanese tourist. You can go to a travel info. office in or nearby the station in late afternoon/evening. They can call and find a ryokan/hotel who is willing to take a single,sometimes to fill just the rooms and at discounted rate.
I have lucked out many times for good to great ryokans.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread