Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much money to become exchange student? 2009/12/23 01:30
Do i have to pay out of the pocket or are there loans that i could get? And how much would i need?
by Renea Chan  

impossible 2009/12/23 14:39
Foreigners or so-called gaijins (literally, ppl from outside) can not get loans in Japan.

Moreover, even to get student visa to study here you would have to prove availability of funds to pay for ALL expenses while you are in Japan.
by Cookie (guest) rate this post as useful

to add more 2009/12/23 14:46
As for how much so you need, letfs say you would like to take a Japanese language (I assume you intend to study Japanese if you wish to come here) course which lasts one year in average university with tuition fees around $7000-8000 + money to rent apartment, eat normally and go out - at least $1300-1500 per month (taking into consideration that you would pay around $800 for apartment with utilities). So for one year we are looking at something like $22600.

The good thing is that student visa allows you to work up to 20 hours per week (min salary per hour in Japan is around $9-10), yet you wonft be able to make living on money earned working part-time.
by Cookie (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/12/23 14:55
In case you are thinking of high school or college exchange programs (for one summer, one semester, or at longest one year), you need to ask the exchange program provider - through your school, I'd say. The fees/expenses vary from one program to another.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Look around for school websites. 2009/12/23 15:24
I think the tuition will differ by school. Not sure if its correct, but I feel that any foreigner in any country will not be qualified to get a loan. But I read that Temple University (Japan campus) will allow loan or financial aid if you are a U.S. national, since Temple University is an American school.
by nezumineko (guest) rate this post as useful

Cost 2011/5/11 00:47
The tuition plus room and board is currently slightly over 26,000 a year. If you are an American citizen you can get student loans to help with this. The problem then becomes.

175.00 for your passport. An additional 435.00 to accept the acceptance. Yes I said that right. You have to pay an advance fee to say you are accepting.

But the main issue is this. You will be required to show financial validity to Japanese immigration to get a student visa. This is another 30,000 in liquid cash. Better known as cash in the bank. You can get a personal loan but the loan must be approved and deposited. This 30,000 is NOT part of the 26,000 for tuition. They require this to prove you will not become a burden to their society.
by Lambchop1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread