Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinjuku to Harajuku - easy to walk? 2010/1/12 12:56
Hi

have noticed that it's only 2km b/w Shinjuku and Harajuku by subway.
Is it easy to walk instead - in terms of finding the directions etc. are there signs on the road?

thank you in advance
by vesta (guest)  

all you need is a map 2010/1/13 22:14
I've walked the distance between Harajuku and Shinjuku without a problem. Depending on the pace of walking and people watching, expect it to take from 15 min to 1 hr.

I was armed with a tourist map I got from the tourist information center which I highlighted. The map was quite good and the walk is mostly down large streets, which are signposted and easily orientable. Really it was mostly strolling down the streets and occasionally checking the map to make sure at an intersection every now and then.

I wouldn't say the scenery was awe-inspiring, but pleasant on a nice day. Try taking a route through Yoyogi park or through Meiji shrine, which is right next to the Harajuku train station--a real nice break from the crowds and city scenery.
by mike (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/1/13 22:40
It is very easy to walk, you can even plot it out on Google maps.

15 minutes would mean a person is walking 8kmh , the average human walks somewhere in the range of 3-4kmh.

The walk will take from 30minutes - 1 hour depending on route.

The walk itself is quite boring the direct way, I usually start south of Shinjuku Station walking in the direction of Yoyogi Station, south of Yoyogi Station is one of the entrances to Meiji Shrine, so you can divert right though Meiji Shrine, and when you exit at the other end you are right at Harajuku Station.

If you use google maps, directions, SHinjuku Station to Harajuku Station and select walking you should get the route I described above, while that route goes through Meiji Shrine area, it bypasses the actual shrine, which requires walking into the center a bit more, so that adds some extra minutes to the trip, but is quite nice.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you for your responses 2010/1/14 08:55
thank you.

we might try and do it (walk!) and hopefully won't get lost!
by vesta (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread