Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanazawa to ainokura 2010/1/21 19:44
What is the best way to travel from Kanazawa to Ainokura? Currently there are 2 route that i am aware of:
1) take bus from kanazawa to shirakawago and take bus from shirakawago to Ainokura
2) take train from kanazawa to takaoka and take bus from takaoka to shirakawago.

Route 1 is shorter in time compare than route 2 but which route is more scenic and convenience?

Appreciate any advice.

Angie
by ngswying  

Ainokura 2010/1/22 00:01
Ainokura is located roughly between Kanazawa and Shirakawa-go. The best way to explore the area is by car. We drove there from Toyama and manage also to visit Kaminashi, Suganuma and Gokayama Gassho no Sato in just half a day.

If you have to rely on public transport and are holding a JR rail pass, you can take JR to Johana with a transfer in Takaoka. Bus journey from Johana to Ainokura is shorter and cheaper.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Driving? 2010/1/22 01:27
I have never thought about driving. You have given me something to consider. Actually my plan will be to travel from Kanazawa to Ainokura (stay 1 night) then travel to Shirakawago (for sight-seeing) and then straight to Takayama.
Will it be tough to drive and navigate our way through the road and expressway especially in early April? Is it expensive? We are a group of 6 person so the cost can be share out.
by ngswying rate this post as useful

driving 2010/1/22 12:06
Driving in that part of Japan is quite enjoyable. As I said before, Gokayama-Ainokura area is best explored if you have your own wheels rather than rely on infrequent bus service. The only thing is that if you drive from Kanazawa to Takayama, you have to pay a substantial sum of drop-off fee. Splitting the cost among a party of 6 will surely help.

As for navigation, rental cars have GPS to guide you. All you have to do is to key in the destination's mapcode or phone no. and the GPS will do the navigation. There are websites to help you find mapcodes which we find are more precise than phone nos. If you really decide on using a rental car, let me know and I can pass on some more information.

toll and fuel cost 2010/1/22 12:13
William5, thanks for your info.
I have discussed with my group and we are quite keen on the idea of driving as it is more convenience and we can take our own pace and cover places that is previously impossible.

Do you have any idea on the fuel cost per miles/km in Japan and the toll rate? Is there parking fee in ainokura? Is it expensive? We are trying to find out the additional cost and to calculate whether it is workable for us.
by ngswying rate this post as useful

cost 2010/1/22 12:54
Fuel consumption depends on the car and I am not into that technicality. We drove a 1300cc Toyota for a day at a rental fee of 6300 yen. We started from Toyama and went down south to Ainokura, Kaminashi, Suganuma and Gokayama Gassho no Sato, then came back up north to Himi before returning to Toyama. If I remember correctly, we spent about 1770 yen on gas and 2800 yen on expressway toll.

Parking is free in Kaminashi. Parking fee for either Suganuma or Gokayama Gassho no Sato is 500 yen. You can park at either place and tour the other on foot. I cannot remember the parking fee for Ainokura, but if you are staying the night there, maybe you can park for free!

reply to this thread