Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bicycle Rental Lake Biwa 2010/2/16 11:02
Where can I rent a bicycle for some cycling around Lake Biwa, near Kyoto? I read on Wikipedia that there is a rental shop next to the JR station from Osaka. But what is that Station's name?

Also, is it possible to cycle to Lake Biwa from Kyoto Station?

Thanks.
by Judith Oliver (guest)  

list 2010/2/16 18:55
This is a list of rental bikes around lake biwa.
http://brn.gozaru.jp/rental.htm
by Yoshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/2/17 11:11
That's great, and very useful. Thank you.
by Judith Oliver (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/17 12:20
The trek from Biwako to Kyoto is possible, but it's not a leisure ride.

You are looking at over 40 miles (one-way) through mostly hill roads (there are 3-4 routes and there is a huge difference in gradient depending on the route).

There is no bike path or even a bike lane between Kyoto and Otsu so you have to deal with traffic (some of the heaviest in Kyoto).

You need strength and stamina, a very reliable bike, repair equipment, appropriate safety gear, water, and energy snacks.

The other problem is renting a bike good enough for the trip.

That said, it's quite popular among enthusiasts.

You just need to plan accordingly. Also, once you get into Shiga there are wonderful bike roads that take you all over the place.

This is actually something to make into a 2-3 day road trip. On a bike, you'll experience some of the best (and rare for travelers) scenery.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Ah... OK... 2010/2/17 12:25
Thanks for the advice! Think I'll catch a train and rent a bicycle by the lake.
by Judith Oliver (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/17 13:09
From Kyoto station to Otsu is only about 15km (less then 10 miles). If you follow the old Tokaido (via Sanjo Ohashi), there are two hills: Higashiyama and Osaka Pass. The road is busy in parts but there is a footpath most of the way.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

reply to this thread