Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashimaya Vs Fushimi Inari Shrine 2010/2/27 07:55
Hi.

Like to ask if there is only half day available for either Arashimaya or Fushimi Inari, which will be most recommended?

THanks
by kastine (guest)  

... 2010/2/27 08:05
I recommend Fushimi Inari over Arashiyama, but it does not require half a day. 1-3 hours are enough.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Fushimi inari 2010/2/27 13:04
I would also go to Fushimi Inari over Arashiyama. Like Uji said though, you don't necessarily need half a day. We walked only part way along the path of tori and then came back.
by Lmg (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/2/27 18:55
Both are quite nice, so there is not a bad choice. I personally enjoyed Arashiyama as an entire day trip, though. You could trim it down to a half day, though, depending on which sites you want to see.

Fushimi Inari would be nice for a half day. As others have said, to see all of Fushimi Inari, it takes about 3 hours but to see the main gates and the actual shrine, you would probably only need one hour.

If you visit Fushimi Inari with extra time, you could go to Sanjuusangendo or Tofukuji Temple.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Sightseing 2010/2/28 07:06
The whole point of going to Fushimi Inari is to walk in the forest under all the torii. However one could go only as far as the twin paths with torii then come back...The first time I walked past the little pond on the right of the path, walked up a bit more then, at a T shaped intersection of paths, took the path to the left instead of the one to the right that climbs up. The left path goes back to the main shrine quickly.
Total time from the JR station and back, including looking at the main shrine, the souvenir stores etc. 2 hrs.
The other times I went up to the top and down by the back way . 4 hrs . not counting the time spent talking to local lady as I ended up lost in a residential area. But it was way more interesting for me than the first time.

Doing a short viist of Fushimi Inari, or Arashiyama and every other place for that matter.. is like going hungry to a restaurant then only having an appetizer or only shaking the hand of one's lover.
Better to see less sights but see each one of them more leisurely.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

No provocation intended 2010/2/28 11:32
Better to see less sights but see each one of them more leisurely.
Purely personal opinion, and not meaning to be difficult, but:
In an ideal world we would all have time and finances to see everything at a leisurely pace.
A realistic attempt to see all that is of personal interest to the average cash-strapped time-poor tourist is entirely reasonable.
by fmj rate this post as useful

only my suggestion 2010/2/28 19:31
My suggestion of seeing only a few things at a leisurely pace has little to do with money and everything to do with experience and one's philosophy.
I am a frugal person that doesn't spend much in hotels and meals and only take short holidays. I used to go on tours where we were on a bus 14 hrs a day (including 4 or 5 stops a day of 30-45 minutes to see this place or that place) and slept for 6 hrs max. every night for a week.
Months after such trips it was hard to remember most of what we had seen..
The first time I went to Japan I stayed in the Kansai for 1 week and saw some of the sights. Not many, only a few. And I looked at non touristy sights, like regular residential streets, small and big stores etc. This still gave me a great introduction to Japan as a whole. Every single thing, even simple ones like the way they parked cars in the tightest spots possible, was so uniquely Japanese!
Staying in the same hotel, having a late afternoon coffee in the same coffee shop, being recognized and welcomed by the staff in both places, finding my way without problem in the maze that Osaka's Hankyu San ban gai is, made me feel as if I lived there.

There is no reason for anyone , in any country, to run around madly trying to see as many places as possible as if one was doing a contest. After all people who live all their life in a country never see most of that country (the region where I was born has several hundreds historical towns and many thousands historical buildings of all kinds. And it is only one of 22 major regions in my native country, each with that many historical sights)
Only tourist boards and guidebooks insist that one "Must see" this, that and that other thing, and the one over there.
In fact, most of the time, Less is more.

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread