Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

seishun ticket experiences? 2010/2/27 10:05
Hello, I read the article about seishun ticket on Japan guide and wanted to know if anyone could share his experience with it. Like what itinerary? How long does it actually take? Or else.

Even one day or two days trips suggestions from Tokyo.

Thank you
by Melina (guest)  

... 2010/2/27 10:20
You can look up timetables on the following website (de-select fast trains):
http://www.hyperdia.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/2/27 13:01
Thank you I know about tat I am more interested by personnal experience with this ticket ^^
by Melina (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/27 13:16
I once went from Takasaki via Tokyo to Nagoya by daytime trains and back a few days later. It took about 9 hours one way in total. It was certainly the cheapest trip I made to Nagoya so far, but two of my four days were basically spent on board of local trains, with a transfer of trains every one to two ours or so.

I enjoyed observing the various people entering and exiting the train along the way and passing different landscapes and prefectures. But I would not want to do it along the Tokaido Line again.

I imagine it to be more exciting along more rural lines, although connections and transfers make for considerably less time-efficient traveling there.

I also used the Seishun 18 Kippu frequently in order to make a day trip from Gunma into Tokyo, because the regular round trip ticket is more expensive than the Seishun 18 Kippu.

I think the Seishun 18 Kippu is only practical for low-budget travelers who have a lot of time at their disposal and like a slow pace of travel. Otherwise, I recommend overnight buses over the Seishun 18 Kippu.
by Uji rate this post as useful

18 kippu 2010/2/27 13:34
I agree with Uji san. It's a good deal if you like trains, have a lot of time and not much luggage. I went to Kyoto from Yokohama once using the Seishun 18 kippu- it took about 7 hours and 4 different trains. I also used one to go up to Nagano and back to visit my home stay family once, and then used the rest of it for day trips out of Tokyo on my days off.

I know a guy who bought two lots of Seishun 18 kippu and used them to go from Tokyo to Wakkanai (northernmost part of Hokkaido) and back. Out of his 12 day holiday he spent 10 full days on trains, but he thought it was fun.

I'm not really sure what you are looking for in terms of "experiences"- basically it is a lot of time sitting on trains that stop a lot, and a lot of changing trains if you are going long distances. Good value but slow.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Cool 2010/2/27 15:36
Well thanks to both of you that is exactly what i want to know , destination, feeling about local trains, time it took.

I am also considering daytrip from Tokyo like Kusatsu. If anyone has onsen or traditionnal Japan ideas.

by Melina (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread