Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sakura forecasts...best days in Tokyo? 2010/3/4 01:58
Hi all, I will be in Japan from March 24th to April 14th, arriving at Fukuoka and leaving from Sendai (North), basically for a ''big hanami'' (this is my second time in Japan, I already visited Tokyo and Kyoto temples and museums).
According to recent (March 3rd) sakura blossom blooms forecasts, it seems that I would have leave from Italy earlier..so now my main question is: according to those forecasts, if I want to spend 3 or 4 days in Tokyo is it better to go there from March 28th to March 31 or from April 1st to April 4th, or it's basically the same? It's important because I have to plan my stops before...in the first situation I would do Fukuoka(25/3)-Miyajima(26/3)-Himeji(27/3) before arriving to Tokyo, in the second situation I would go to Yakushima for a couple of days (27-28) before Miyajima and Himeji.
After Tokyo I would go to Kansai for some hanami in Kyoto-Osaka-Nara-Yoshino so I'm afraid it would be too late.
Thank you very much, and if you have some other advices for my trip...thanks 2 times.
Bye, Federico.
by Federico (guest)  

... 2010/3/4 02:57
You cannot predict this accurately enough three weeks ago for down-to-the-day plans. There will simply be a risk that you will miss the peak in some cities, while you will probably hit it in other cities.

if I want to spend 3 or 4 days in Tokyo is it better to go there from March 28th to March 31 or from April 1st to April 4th

It cannot be predicted accurately. I personally think that April 1st to April 4th will be safer, but it might end up the opposite way if March is surprisingly warm.

You should accept that nature cannot be predicted. Especially not over three weeks in advance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/4 05:37
Thanks Uji. Of course having Japan Rail Pass I can be more flexible about changes of plans, my only concern is that leaving without booking could be quite risky, especially economically. In your opinion, to be almost sure, should I wait until I arrive (March 24th) and listen to local forecasts/Tourist Offices?
Thanks, Federico.
by Federico (guest) rate this post as useful

Uji is right 2010/3/4 08:29
I also think that the 1st to the 4th would give you the best chance, but as above, it could be an unusual year. We are having very up and down temperatures (20 degrees one day, 8 degrees the next) in the last week or so, with more of the same to come, so it's very hard to say.

Last year my mother came to Japan in early April, and one of her main things was to see the cherry blossoms. When the first flowers came out around the 23rd of March, I thought "oh no, she's going to miss them".

After that a cold snap meant that not many more blossoms came out for the next week, so for my mother it ended up being perfect timing. In late March though it looked like she was too late. That's how unpredictable it is, even after the flowers have started to bloom!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/4 10:38
Accommodation during the cherry blossom season is not a problem in most major cities. The only exception is Kyoto, where it is even now already difficult to find rooms, especially on Saturday evenings.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread