Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to self-learn Japanese? 2010/3/21 10:02
I was taking a college course (Beginner's Japanese II) and I ended up running into a family emergency and missing most of the semester. The teacher told me that since I'd missed so many classes, she encouraged me to drop this class and retake it again next semester. The problem is that I really want to start Intermediate lessons next semester. What are the best books, online programs or software that can help me reach that level before the fall semester starts? I do have to end up dropping this class if I don't want to receive a low grade, which is what the teacher said. There aren't any tutors in my area, I checked. :(

Any ideas??? Please help!
by OhSakiChan  

my oppinion 2010/4/7 02:28
well. I have been useing this website www.123japanese.com the past few weeks. it seems pretty good for learning.
by tonniwhite (guest) rate this post as useful

Definitely 2010/4/7 02:59
I recommend this site.
Smart.fm
by kkww rate this post as useful

An Incredible List of Resources... 2010/4/7 07:07
...Just posted today at Tofugu.com:
http://www.tofugu.com/2010/04/06/tofugu-100-best-japanese-learning-res...

This is an awesome collection of Japanese learning resources. Definitely make use of it.
by timxirish rate this post as useful

yep 2010/4/7 16:09
That guy is awesome!
Yet somehow he reminds me of my brother.
by home slice (guest) rate this post as useful

Minna no nihongo 2010/4/7 18:22
Hey,

if you want to have a well written, easy to understand, grammatically well-grounded book that introduces stuff that you really can use & hear in everyday's conversations, I'd suggest Minna no Nihongo.
It's not a "quick and dirty" text book with some useful phrases only (like there are so many out there), but goes well into the needed grammar.

On the other hand, I'm wondering whether you don't have a book already for your course? It might be counter-productive to use different resources that will hopefully improve your Japanese, but will probably not lead you to the exact same point where the intermediate course will start from.
If you already worked with a specific book, there might be some people here with good ideas of additional material that complements your literature.

Good luck,
Kai
by umi2jp rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/4/8 04:11
timxirish, thank you very much for the link to that list of resources...that is very helpful!!
by beev (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese pod 101 2010/4/8 10:48
Japanese pod 101 is good. Different levels with daily podcasts (& accompanying notes if you subscribe).
There's also Japanese videos, tv programs, etc online to help with listening practice.
Good luck, I know self study can be hard!
by lmsay (guest) rate this post as useful

smart.fm 2010/4/13 04:15
It was already said but once again smart.fm is by far the best website to learn Japanese. I became so addicted to this website smart.fm that I changed my way of life. I used to take a shower when I wake up in the morning, and then take my big breakfast. Now I changed completely, I wake up and go straight to my pc to complete my lessons. I recommend you Mina no Nihongo 1-6 to start, together with Japanese survival and Telephone. Dont forget Hiragana, of course. I learned so much that I created a Goal to Portuguese People who are willing to learn German and I will creat more in the near future. This website is better than any other school if you are a beginner.
Save some money is not bad sometimes.
by Bruno38 rate this post as useful

Thanks for the responses! 2010/4/14 06:57
Yes, I have a textbook. It's Genki I.

I would also really like to take the JLPT 4 test at the end of the year, so study book recommendations for those お願い!

Yes, I can read hiragana and katakana just fine. I can read hirgana and katakana without even thinking about it, so I think I'm set with the kanas. Kanji might be a little tricky.

I'm Chinese, so I can understand the Kanji characters, but I can't read it in Japanese. I end up reading the kanas in Japanese then switching over to Chinese when I read Kanji. 超めんどくさい.

I'll check out smart.fm. 皆さん、ありがとうございます!

The more tips the better! Thanks!
by OhSakiChan rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/14 10:28
Unicom's JLPT books seem the best-regarded, and I find their products useful; Bonjinsha also publishes collections of tests used in past years.

(A word of warning, though: the lower-level JLPTs are more for personal satisfaction that practical usefulness. If you're taking it to help get into the intermediate class, though, then please disregard my big, dumb disclaimer.)
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/14 22:00
*Than* practical usefulness, rather.
by Blenheim (guest) rate this post as useful

Some more info... 2010/4/16 10:00
I hope you understand I was talking about the N4 and not the previous JLPT 4. I am doing it to give myself a goal in order to speed up my learning of Japanese. I am going to Japan Fall 2011 for exchange for 6 months. I'm hoping that by the end of those 6 months I can try for 2 and skip N3. But we'll see how that goes. Depending on how well I progress then, I might have to aim a little lower at N3.
by OhSakiChan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread