Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 days in Kyoto plan 2010/5/4 17:16
My boyfriend and I are going to Japan in less than a month and we're trying to plan the itinerary for 2 days in Kyoto. It's confusing and we need some help.

We are going to be in Kyoto for 2 days in June. We're arriving at 11am on the first day (Kyoto Station) and we will be staying for 2 nights at Super Hotel Shijo Kawaramachi. We will leave Kyoto early in the morning on the third day, leaving us with the total of only 2 days in Kyoto (actually a little less than 2 days, since we're arriving at 11am):(

These are the places I would like to visit:
- Arashiyama
- Kiyomizudera
- Kinkakuji
- Sanjusangendo
- Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Gion
- Philosophers Pathways (if possible)

Questions:
1. Is it possible to visit all the places above in 2 days?

2. In which order should we visit these places?

Also, we're checking in at the hotel around 3pm, so we're trying to decide which places to go before and after check-in.

2. Is it possible to visit Fushimi Inari Shrine before the check in?

3. What is the best time to visit Sanjusangedo and Kiyomizudera? (morning/afternoon/evening)

4. How long would it take to visit each of these places?(medium pace travel)

Many thanks!
by Danella (guest)  

Hmm... 2010/5/6 18:48
These are the places I would like to visit:
- Arashiyama
- Kiyomizudera
- Kinkakuji
- Sanjusangendo
- Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Gion
- Philosophers Pathways (if possible)

Questions:
1. Is it possible to visit all the places above in 2 days?

You can do most of them, but if you are arriving at 11 AM and plan to go to your hotel at 3 it will cut into your day.

Also, Arashiyama consists of a wide variety of sites. You can devote an entire day to Arashiyama, so it depends on how much you want to see.

2. In which order should we visit these places?

Also, we're checking in at the hotel around 3pm, so we're trying to decide which places to go before and after check-in.

2. Is it possible to visit Fushimi Inari Shrine before the check in?
Yes, Fushimi Inari can take anywhere from 30/40 minutes to 3 hours, depending on how thoroughly you want to explore it.

3. What is the best time to visit Sanjusangedo and Kiyomizudera? (morning/afternoon/evening)

Sites typically close around 5, so the best time is just while they are open. Morning may be less crowded, but the afternoon is not a "bad time".

4. How long would it take to visit each of these places?(medium pace travel)

As stated above, for Arashiyama it will depend largely on what your interests are, and Fushimi Inari will depend on whether you just want to see some of the red torii or if you want to see the entire site.

Kiyomizudera should take about an hour.
Kinkakuji should take 40 minutes to 1 hour.
Sanjuusangendo will likely also take about one hour.

You should visit Gion in the evening after the other sites are closed. This is not only most convenient but also the best time to see maiko/geisha, if you are interested in that. You can spend as much or as little time as you want. 15 minutes is enough just to walk down the road and see it, but if you are interested, you can spend much more time there. You can also visit Maruyama Park and Yasaka Shrine nearby.

The Philosopher's Path is best experienced if you take the time to visit the temples and shrines along the path, which will be about a half-day experience.

I don't know where your hotel is, but I would probably do this:
Day 1:
-Fushimi Inari Shrine (you wanted to start here, and there is a logical trip to make from this point.)
-Sanjuusangendo
-Kiyomizudera
-Kinkakuji (maybe)
(If it's possible, checking into your hotel after 5 will allow you to maximize your time spent at the sites.)
-Gion, Maruyama Park (after checking into hotel)

Day 2:
-Kinkakuji (if not seen on day 1)
-Arashiyama (or you could choose the Philosopher's Path)

If you do Kinkakuji on day 2, it is worth your time to walk 15 minutes to Ryoanji Temple. (after Ryoanji, Ninnaji is another 15 minutes walk down the same road). You could do these and then spend the rest of your day in Arashiyama.

by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Fushimi Inari 2010/5/6 19:52
Just want to add that Fushimi Inari is a very very long trail, if you just want a few pictures at the front then it will not take you more than 10-20 minutes. Completing the trail will take half a day, and its highly recommeded as there are different scenes higher up along the trail...
by Glee (guest) rate this post as useful

Revised Itinerary 2010/5/7 06:59
Thank you for the advice.
I've made some changes on my Kyoto plan. We're checking into the hotel at 6pm, so we'll have more time to spend at the sites.

This is our revised itinerary:

Day 1:
- Arrive at 11am (Kyoto Sta.)
- Fushimi Inari Shrine (11:30-13:00)
- Sanjusangendo (13:30-14:30)
- Kiyomizudera (14:45-16:00)
- Check into Super Hotel Shijo-Kawaramachi (18:00)
- Nishiki market (would it still be open?)
- Gion or Pontocho

Day 2:
- Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Ninnaji (09:00-12:00)
- Arashiyama (12:00-18:00)
- Pontocho or Gion (in the evening)

Is this doable? If there's a better idea, any suggestion is more than welcome :)

Btw, how do I get to Kiyomizudera from Sanjusangendo? And based on my destinations, what type of bus pass would be most useful? Do they have any free public transportation map in Kyoto station?

Thank you!
by Danella (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/5/7 09:33
I would recommend taking the Keihan Railway from Fushimi Inari Station (NOT Fushimi Station. That is a different Line) to Shichi-jo Station to get to Sanjuusangendo. You can return to the railway and take it to
Gojo Station (also called Kiyomizu Gojo).

Keihan Railway is the fastest and most convenient way to get to each of your destinations on the first day.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread