Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Text on iPhone through wifi in Japan? 2010/6/4 10:50
My friend recently went to Korea for a couple months. She told me that she deactivated her at&t plan from the U.S. and used her iPhone's wifi to text for free via wifi to the states. (Using textPlus application)
I am hoping that if I deactivate and take my iPhone I can do the same while I am in Japan. Is this possible?

Another thought.. can I deactivate, take my phone to Japan and get a Japanese plan activated on to it? I would hope using a calling card to call my family would cost less than using a ridiculously expensive roaming plan. Right?

Thanks for the help! :)
by Kim (guest)  

. 2010/6/4 11:35
WiFi operates completely separate from any phone plans. Wifi can work anywhere there is an open wifi connection.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

iphone 2010/6/4 14:06
I am hoping that if I deactivate and take my iPhone I can do the same while I am in Japan. Is this possible?

This should work as long as you have access to wifi. Note that free wifi is NOT widely available in Japan.

Another thought.. can I deactivate, take my phone to Japan and get a Japanese plan activated on to it?

Other posters have recently expressed difficulty doing this. Japanese carriers apparently won't sell a contract sim card alone.

I would hope using a calling card to call my family would cost less than using a ridiculously expensive roaming plan. Right?

Yes, a calling card is cheaper for international calls than pretty much every cell phone plan whether roaming, contract , or prepaid. It is even cheaper (or even free) to use skype or voip services over wifi.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

VoIP 2010/6/6 21:56
Take a look at "fring" and Skype for your iPhone. You can use fring to sent text if you have wifi access. We will be in Japan and Korea in a couple of weeks
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Softbank sim card 2010/6/18 13:32
You now can rental a SIM for iPhones from SoftBank with unlimited data plan.It worked for me in Tokyo and Kyoto. (Softbank is the only official iPhone provider in Japan)

http://www.softbank-rental.jp/en/phones/
by sgr (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread