Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido and North East in October 2010/6/8 08:57
Hi,
This is my first time in the Hokkaido + North Eastern region in Japan. I'm having a hard time to plan the route because of the timing to see the Autumn Foliage. Any suggestions to me will be appreciated. Thanks!

We fly to Sapporo either on Oct 8 or 15 for a total of 18 days trip (last 3 nights must be in Tokyo as we fly out in Narita Airport) Need your advise before buying the Tix as I don't know if I should start the trip a week earlier for the red leaves viewing in Hokkaido and also at the Hakunodate/onsen area. Please advise!

Our interests for the trip are: Autumn Foliage, scenic/nature, places for great seafood/beef, Onsen (prefer mixed bath with outdoor one, traditional ryokan type and not the 100 rooms resort type)

We will buy a JR pass an prefer to drive the scenic area in the east of Hokkaido or in part of the Northeastern region such as from maybe Akita to Tazawako area for onsen and viweing of autumn foliage.

Here're the places I'm thinking of and what do you think of the order + the use/location of Rental car?
Thinking of 9-10 days in Hokkaido and leaves us some time maybe 5-6 days to stop in places in Akita or maybe if time is possible, at Yamadera/Yonezawa area on the way back to Tokyo by train.

Day 1 & 2: Sapporo
Day 3: Kushiro (Pick up rental car),
DAy 4: Lake Akan
Day 5: Abashiri (return rental car)
Day 6: Sounkyo
Day 7: Otaru
Day 8 & 9: Hakodate
(Next: Scenic train by the Japan sea and get off at akita)
Day 10 & 11: Akita (pick up rental car) to Hakunodate and stay 2 nights at Nyuto-onsenkyo
Day 12 & 13: Yamadera and Yonezawa, overnight in onsen area close to Yonezawa
I'm already lost here...seems like I can stop by other places before heading back to Toyko or I can slow down and spend a night more in the earlier places For example maybe not take the scenic trian by the Japan Sea but go to Oirase??? Also, my pick up of rental car at Akita and now I have no idea where should I return it in terms of not making a detour back to the pick up location. FYI, if the drop off fee at another location is not too bad (let's say just an extra day of car rental price) we may consider return at the next city.

Please helps...I'm having a huge headache now and I know we are a bit greedy to go to too many places in just a short time. We really need to decide so that we can secure he Plane tix plus some hotels.

MAny thanks!
MM
by MM9  

... 2010/6/9 11:53
If possible, I recommend to directly fly into Kushiro instead of Sapporo to reduce travel distances.

In late October, I suggest to incorporate Towadako/Oirase and a drive from Towadako via Tamagawa Onsen to Tazawako/Nyuto and Kakunodate into your schedule. I recommend two nights along the way (one around Towadako and one in Nyuto).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Need helps on my Oct Hokkaido Itinery 2010/6/13 07:19
Hello,

Please give me your opinion on the following route as I have a total of 9 Nights to see Hokkaido before taking the train back to Tokyo. Love to see and stay at farm/ try to milk cows and eat good beef/ good seafood . Visit onsen -prefer the outdoor type ryokan with mixed bath and pick up rental car drive around to see scenic area and fall foliage. Many thanks!

Please add and correct my route:

1st choice:

Day 1: Arrive Sapporo at night on Oct 7- Stay Sapporo

Day 2: Stay Sapporo

Day 3: Stay Otaru

Day 4: Visit & Stay at Aashikawa or Biei or Furano --IS it worth going there at all in Oct and driving around? I should be here around Oct 10 or 11.

Day 5: Shintoku / Obihiro- Stay at Farm house - I want to try to milk cow and eat the best beef in this area. That's the reason I stay here. Do you know any farm/logging???

Day 6: 1) Go to Kushiro & stay a night there then fly to Hakodate OR 2) Train from Obihiro to Nobu Onsen and stay a night there

Day 7: Hakodate

Day 8: Hakodate

Day 9: ???

I have 1 day free now, where should I stay longer or can you suggest a place to fill the day?

SHould I pick up the rental car at Aashikawa or Biei and then return at Obihiro?

OR 2nd choice:

Day 1: Fly to Abashiri from Tokyo on Oct 8 -Stay Abashiri
Day 2 & 3: Drive around and stay at Lake Akan
Day 4: Return car at Kushiro eithr stay at Kushiro or train to Obihiro and stay at farm house for a night
Day 5 & 6: Sapporo
Day 7: Otaru
Day 8 & 9: Hakodate

If you are me, which choice will u choose: 1st or 2nd?
Please help! And thanks a lot for every suggestion!
by MM9 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread