Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which rail line is more scenographic? 2010/7/1 07:32
Hello,
I'd like to know which route is more scenographic and pleasant to see: nagoya-takayama or nagoya-matsumoto?
I have a JR pass so both are equal for me.
Along the nagoya-matsumoto there is the Kiso valley (where I can visit tsumago, narai, etc. along the trip) so I am really undecided...
by BK (guest)  

... 2010/7/1 19:18
For just the scenery,I vote for nagoya-takayama. But if you are considering to visit places along the way, I vote for nagoya-matsumoto with stops in the interesting Kiso Valley.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I'll go for Kiso 2010/7/1 22:50
Thanks for the reply, at the end I think I'll opt for the Kiso valley. I'm a bit intimidated by the transportation, it seems a bit complicated, but I hope I'll be able to make it. I'll leave Tokyo in the morning and I must reach Matsumoto (or Takayama) by evening.
Also a visit to Matsumoto castle is in my plans, so I must decide if stop in Matsumoto or try to do everything in one day (Kiso + Matsumoto castle) and try to reach Takayama. Last bus from Matsumoto to Takayama is at 17:10...
by MB (guest) rate this post as useful

Just did both 2010/7/5 03:53
I think the scenery along the Nagoya-Takayama route is better. The river and rocks are closer in places and it follows them for a longer ways than in the Kiso Valley. Hida-Takayama has a bit more than Matsumoto to see also, and is more compact (Matsumoto castle and the post towns, Narai-juku, Magome . ., are a ways apart. Takayama has everything in town or Hida-no-Sato just to the west).
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Nagoya - Matsumoto or Nagoya - Takayama 2010/7/5 12:41
My party spent two nights in tsumago (to do the magome back to tsumago walk in autumn leaves), we then took most of the day to get to matsumoto, stopping at narai mid-morning to stroll and have lunch, then getting to matsumoto mid-afternoon. Stopping at, say, tsumago and narai takes up a lot of time, so i don't believe you could do it in just a morning. My party got a bus from Matsumoto to Takayama (a highlight). I did not then go south again to Nagoya, but believe the scenery is just fab
by Maggi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread