Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izu islands or Izu peninsula? 2010/7/4 12:45
Hello

I have about 10 days to travel at the end of July/beginning of August before I head back home, and I am trying to decide whether I want to go to the Izu islands, or Izu peninsula.
While I do technically have time for both, I do want to leave some time to see other areas in Tokyo, also my budget is somewhat limited.
Plus, since the two areas seem somewhat similar (beaches, mountains, onsen, etc), I am thinking perhaps it maybe a bit redundant.
So for those who have experience with either or both of the areas, which would you recommend? I am leaning towards Izu peninsula since I would also be making a trip to other areas of Shizuoka as well.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
by David (guest)  

Izu 2010/7/4 21:01
One more thing you can see in Izu are the Amma divers who go out and dive for pearls. There are places that you kind of gamble - they bring you closed clams which you pay for, and you may get expensive pearls inside.
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/4 21:07
I have only been to Izu Peninsula, and I can say there are plenty of things you can do. If you want to do either Izu Islands OR Izu Peninsula, I would recommend Izu Peninsula, simply for the ease of transportation (buses and trains rather than ferries).
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/5 00:37
Thanks for the responses so far.

Yeah, I did notice that transportation is somewhat scarce on the islands themselves.
I am hoping to do a lot of walking and camping though, which I see are fairly easy to do on the islands, but how about on Izu peninsula? Are there a good number of camp sites?
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread