Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dress like gesha/maiko in Kyoto or Tokyo 2010/7/4 15:04
I am travelling with my mother and would like to dress like gesha/ maiko in Kyoto.

Should I do this in Kyoto or Tokyo? Can someone please recommend a place please?

I saw some people recommend this place but also some people does not recommend this place.

http://www.yumekoubou.info/english/studio/index.html#gion

Please help. Thanks.
by winterlily  

I've heard of it 2010/7/4 20:59
I read that you can do that in Kyoto but it sounds a little bit like a rip-off. Unless money is not an issue...
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/4 21:04
In terms of which city to try that in, definitely Kyoto. I don't have any personal recommendation for a shop, though.
by AK rate this post as useful

dress in kimono 2010/7/4 22:34
by William5 rate this post as useful

In Kyoto - - - 2010/7/5 01:16
A couple of years ago my wife and I went to Japan with our grand daughter. In Kyoto, on our hotel's recommendation, we went to Toei Uzumasa Eiga Mura, which is the Toei film company's movie lot in the suburb of Uzumasa west of Kyoto. There we were able to have our gr dtr dressed up as a maiko (apprentice geisha). She loved it. It was a bit pricey, but a lot goes into it and it was time consuming. Dressing up as a maiko involves complicated clothing and white make-up. Dressing up as a geisha (geiko in Kyoto) requires less make-up. Samurai and ninja garb is also available. Included is a professional photograph done on a movie set by Toei employees. Another nice feature is being allowed to walk around the sets for personal photos in various historic-type venues, such as Nihonbashi, a rickshaw and a kabuki theater, and many more. Sydney was in demand by visiting Japanese school kids who wanted to be photographed with her! The guy who made her up was a retired make-up artist who worked for Toei. He was meticulous in choosing garb, wig, etc. Our gr dtr loved the experience (although she was more than ready to take the uncomfortable costume off afterwards!) We felt the experience was well worth the cost, and her parents loved the photos. The park is easily accessible via JR local train from Kyoto station.
by koniero rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/5 02:47
This place in Kyoto is great and does many Japanese's stars photos. They can speak some English (enough).

http://www.jidaiya-kyoto.com/
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

my daughter did that at Gion 2010/7/5 06:41
yes, my 11 year old daughter did that at Gion last year. It was too late to do the "walk around" photos, though from what I saw they have a bunch of girls in costume and they stop at various places and have shots done, it didnt look so personal and the studio shots were brilliant anyway. It was pricey, about 10,000 yen, but very professional, and I think it was a real highlight for my daughter. I'd have it done again in a flash, in fact I kinda regret not having the samurai ones done too.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Geisha in Kyoto which one 2010/7/6 12:31
by winterlily rate this post as useful

Henshin 2010/7/6 17:42
I have been to this one:
http://www.maiko-henshin.com/english/index.html
Most of the staff speak a little englisch.
The make-over will take about 90 minutes. I did a foto session inside with the photographer and later made pictures outside myself.
by Valeri (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread