Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Use of debit / credit cards 2010/7/6 02:25
Hello Everyone,

I leave for Japan tomorrow and I was wondering about how common it is to pay with credit cards at smaller restaurants. ie at a Soba-ya, Ramen-ya, Tonkatsu-ya, Yakitori-ya, or other inexpensive fast food type restaurants. I assume you can eat at such places for around 1000 YEN. Are credit / debit cards accepted for such small amounts at such restaurants?

Also, can I use a credit / debit card to purchase and charge my Suica train card?

Thanks for the help.
by Elliott (guest)  

depends on where you eat 2010/7/6 10:47
Some places have credit/debit card readers that take visa and mastercard. But the older-looking mom-and-pop restaurants may not.

You should just flash your card and ask "Ok?" and they'll probably nod and and say yes, or cross their arms like a power ranger and say no.

As far as buying/charging a suica card, I think you can do it at a station office, not at an automated ticket machine, but I've never tried since I only know of the suica visa cards that act as both a train pass and a credit card.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread