Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shimokita Peninsula and Mt. Osore 2010/7/6 22:59
I am planning to go to the Shimokita peninsula in Aug. Has anyone been there before?

I would rather take public transportation, but it doesn't seem very convenient. Does anyone have experience renting a car there?

Also, what are some lodging options? Japan-guide says that you can stay in temples overnight at Mt. Osore, but I can't find any information.

Any help would be appreciated!
by jojokun (guest)  

... 2010/7/7 13:11
I am planning to go to the Shimokita peninsula in Aug. Has anyone been there before?

Yes, I have been there.

I would rather take public transportation, but it doesn't seem very convenient. Does anyone have experience renting a car there?

Yes, I used a rental car to get around. I think there is probably an outlet on the peninsula itself, but it is probably more convenient to rent it from a major nearby city, such as Hachinohe or Aomori. Here are some basics about rental cars in Japan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

Also, what are some lodging options? Japan-guide says that you can stay in temples overnight at Mt. Osore, but I can't find any information.

Here are some basics:
http://templelodging.com/spot/01tohoku/aomori001.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Great place! 2010/7/7 14:55
I went there three years ago at the end of July. The peninsula was pretty deserted so it was nice and peaceful. The volcano was stinky but so interesting to walk around. Stop at the town at the top of the peninsula so you can check out a far away view of Hokkaido too!

And yes, I had my own car. I'm sure public transportation is few and far between!
by funkychicken (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/7/7 23:45
Thanks for the advice Uji and funkychicken!

I'm still debating between a car and public transportation because I'm not sure if I like the idea of potentially having to rent a car from a nearby city (I'm not confident with driving in Japan).

Do you know if this bus chart is still accurate? I can't read/speak Japanese.

http://www.0175.co.jp/s/s-bus/oyama.html

From my understanding it looks like there are 9 buses a day to Osore. It seems like a lot more convenient than the 3 or 4 buses/day that japan-guide quoted.

Also, is there only 1 temple (Bodaiji) on Mt. Osore? I'd like to know all the available temple lodging options.

Thanks for your help!
by jojokun (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/8 09:45
From my understanding it looks like there are 9 buses a day to Osore.

That is just during the annual festival (July 20 to 24, 2010). The lower table with four buses per day applies during the rest of the year. And there is no bus at all in winter.

Also, is there only 1 temple (Bodaiji) on Mt. Osore? I'd like to know all the available temple lodging options.

Yes, there is just one temple.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread