Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shoes/boots for snow 2010/7/9 16:58
I live in a hot climate, other than a few flakes in Kyoto this March I haven't really been in the snow.

Our next trip we are planning to spend a couple of the days in Sapporo for the snow festival (early February). We will only be that far north for a few days but we will be outside walking around for the whole time - or as much as we can. Are special snow boots essential? I am told it is wet and slippery underfoot so I want to be safe, don't want to be too uncomfortable to be outside or fall and ruin my holiday but also don't really want to buy shoes I'll only wear a couple of times or would be too uncomfortable for walking all day.

We will be mostly around the snow festival and attactions near the city, we won't be out on hiking trails etc.

After that we'll be in Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Tokyo, while cold and maybe some snow I believe it will be quite different conditions - warm clothes and shoes but not specialty snow wear?
by pacifictonz (guest)  

... 2010/7/9 17:51
The last time we were at Sapporo for the snow festival and other parts of Hokkaido, my partner fell a few times. He did not get a pair of snow shoes or even the clip-on cleats. I on other hand had on a pair of snow shoes and fell once in Otaru, not because of wet or slippery surfaces but because I was walking too near a building. Turned out that there was a small drain that was totally covered with snow. It was dark and I was trying to avoid traffic on the quiet road so that was the only fall. Having the shoes was really a blessing. Mine was lined with fur and was really comfortable and easy to walk. I don't feel as tired walking after a whole day which I do feel with a pair of sneakers.
by 7ko (guest) rate this post as useful

walking in snow 2010/7/9 18:05
You don't need special shoes for the snow festival. The times that I went I just wore tennis shoes and they were adequate. As the previous poster mentioned, they sell rubber straps with metal cleats that can be slipped over your regular shoes for traction. I used a pair last time and they were pretty nice to have, but not necessary. They sell them at convenience stores and along the paths in Odori Park if you want to get some. I think they are about 1000-1500 yen a set.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Winter in Hokkaido 2010/7/9 18:41
pacifictonz,

I was there for the ice festival this Feb, it was - 5 most of the time, freezing cold . Footpaths were covered with solid ice, very slippery,worst when it was windy .

I thought I would be fine with snow socks and hiking boots, apparently not the hiking boots I had. I ended up buying cheap snow boots (about 2k yens) and did they make a difference! The best money ever spent, I walked hours on ice , my feet did not even feel cold ,so comfy and the boots lasted my entire trip in Hokkaido, 17 days .
Without hesitation I recommend snow boots. Buy a cheap pairs when you arrive in Sapporo, and you might still be able to wear them in Kyoto or Tokyo ? Also purchase a pair of waterproof trousers ( you wear them outside your normal trousers) 1K yens? They are really worth it.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Socks and Jackets 2010/7/9 23:22
Pacifictonz,

I am from Tokyo area where people break their bones in snow just because we're not used to commuting in that sort of weather (broke mine, too). But still, I can say that clip-ons you can buy at KIOSKs will do.

However, rather than to worry about shoes, be sure to wear either thick socks or layers of socks, and make sure you have enough spare ones. If your feet happen to get wet, you can just go back to your room, change your socks and put some newspaper inside your shoes to let dry. Also be sure to wear thick jackets (preferablly down jackets) so that they will act as a buffer just in case you should fall.

You can also buy portable disposal warmers at drug stores and convenience stores. They have some for your pockets and some for your shoes. Ask for "tsukai-sute-kairo."

Have fun!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Buy snow shoes 2010/7/10 00:21
Hi there!!

My advice is to buy the snow shoes. More comfortable and safer. It is not that expensive (unless you go for fashionable ones or buy them at department stores). Go to shoes stores like ABC Mart (lots of them around) or somewhere near Ueno/Ameyoko Market. Mae sure you have thick socks.

There is a big difference between just walking around in the snow to look at certain attractions and walking around during snow festival. The snow festivals I have went to - I always stayed from morning until night time (due to night shows and fireworks) Hence comfortable shoes that protect you from being wet and cold is essential. Once your feet is wet, you would not be able to enjoy it to the fullest.

If you are planning to play with the snow, like snowballs, build a mini snow sculpture or even just laying on top of it to make snow angels, try to get a waterproof pants. Otherwise a thermal wear and and thick jeans would be sufficient. A pair of gloves is necessary as well as a cap.

Note: Hokaido is very cold in February. And you are planning to be outdoor most of the time. Usually I only go out with my leather boots (not waterproof but sufficient in the winter if I walk on pathways) However to walk on top of the snow - snow boots are good to have. Otherwise you would be worrying of slipping all the time.

Might be better to buy the snow boots, gloves and cap over there. More choices and most likely the same price or even cheaper. I found the winter clothes in my country are very overprice.
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

Timberland 2010/7/10 06:44
I grabbed timberland hiking boots, which are comfy as and the gortex lined ones are built for snow. I can wear them all day and they feel brilliant. They arent too heavy either.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread