Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakkone, Kamakura or Nikko? 2010/8/9 07:12
Hi everyone.

I have a free day while I'm in Tokyo in two weeks and I was thinking of heading outside the city to either Hakkone, Kamakura or Nikko.

I've heard nice things about each, but I'm not really sure which is most interesting and best "value" for a day trip.

I like exploring interesting markets, restaurants, temples and cultural sights.

My Japanese is pretty up to snuff, so I don't mind getting off the beaten path and just wander.

Would love to hear people's thoughts about each of the three if they have been there.

Thank you!
by NYCBunny (guest)  

Nikko or Kamakura 2010/8/9 14:52
I think either Nikko or Kamakura would suit your interests better, since Hakone is more about nature/hiking and onsen.

As for Kamakura or Nikko, that's a tough one... I think Nikko has a more beautiful setting (among mountains, smaller town). On the other hand, Kamakura is closer to Tokyo so it makes for a more relaxed sightseeing day.

There is more to see and do besides temples (Enoshima, beaches, a larger town so more choices as to dining etc).
The temples in Kamakura are generally more subdued/classically Japanese while the shrines in Nikko are more colourful/spectacular.

Some people prefer Kamakura, others Nikko. I think you will have a great day trip whichever you choose!
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Kamakura or Nikko 2010/8/9 18:49
Nikko is easier to navigate, Kamakura is easier to find less visited places. I took an architect friend to both, and she much preferred Kamakura - she thought Nikko was too oranate and far from the Japanese aesthetic she was hoping to see.

I like both. Nikko is definitely a longer day. If it were me, I would go to Nikko if staying in Akakusa / eastern Tokyo, but Kamakura if in Shinjuku - west/ southern Tokyo. Pretty lame way to make a decision, but I like the idea of optimising my sightseeing time :)
The JNTO publish a 'practical guide to the regions' series. There is one for both Nikko and Kamakura and they are worth printing out. The Japan guide is also very useful for prioritising in Kamakura.

If you feel you have had enough of temples, Hakone.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2010/8/10 06:46
Thank you both!

It sounds like I'll nix Hakone from the list.

I guess I'll a little more research and try to decide between the two. Sounds like I can't go too wrong either way :)
by NYCBunny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread