Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dai ishi Hotel 2010/8/19 18:37
I shall be at Hotel Dai-ishi Ikebukuro and also heard that it is near the red light area of japan. Please be advise the hotel is OK or not and what exactly the red light are is?
by Jasper (guest)  

Don't worry! 2010/8/19 19:07
True, there is a red-light district in Ikebukuro (as there is somewhere around pretty much any large station in Tokyo).

However, you shouldn't worry about that since; 1 - your hotel is on the east side of the station, and most of the "red light" area is on the west; 2 - as a tourist you are unlikely to see much of this.

Sleazy hostess bars and the like tenders mostly to Japanese businessmen so they will mostly ignore foreign tourists. Also, the red light-district in Ikebukuro (and other places), are mixed with lots of "regular" entertainment, so most people will be around there just for dining/bars/karaoke/game arcades etc. The area is safe to walk around in.
The largest red-light/entertainment district in Tokyo is actually in Shinjuku and is called Kabuki-cho.

Ikebukuro is a fun area with good shopping and plenty of cheap dining, i think you will have a good time there!
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Map to Hotel 2010/8/19 23:46
It was amazing that the webpage of the Dai -isho does not display the map access. Anyone know how to go there? Any advise for place to visit around Ikebukuro?
by Jasper (guest) rate this post as useful

What Exactly Is the Name of the Place? 2010/8/20 01:21
If it's Dai-Ichi Inn Ikebukuro, then you will find two different maps on the Rakuten page for the hotel:

http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=610

Look at the bottom of the green-tinted "Location-Directions" box.

If it's something else, spell it clearly to get best results. Some hotels in Japan have names that may appear similar by foreign standards. (For example, for some reason a lot of people seem to get Toyoko Inn and Tokyo Inn mixed up.)

If you are staying at Dai-Ichi Inn Ikebukuro, you won't have any problems with the setting being sleazy. It is very close to the station in a busy and safe commercial area.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Nice Hotel 2010/8/20 02:19
I've stayed in Dai-Ichi last summer for about three nights and I didn't notice a thing from the red light district. It was only later on when someone showed me that I found out how close it was. But the train station is a boundary between the two areas. Also, there are a lot of nice low budget food places in this area. I surely enjoyed my stay here.
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

Dai ichi hotels 2010/8/20 02:41
Thousand thanks for all guest friends. I did reserved a standard double room by hotel web page and found little higher price than booking by rakuten. The problem is there is no nonsmoking room available on those days, anyone knows is it too bad smoking room or any other hotels around with the reasonable price.
by Jasper (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread