Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

buy Hokkaido Rail Pass in Wakkanai? 2010/9/17 00:44
So I'm planning on hiking Rebun and Rishiri next year. My plan is to fly into Wakkanai airport from Nagoya, hike the islands and use a 3 day Hokkaido Rail pass to travel down Hokkaido to Hakodate, where I can catch a ferry to Aomori and work my way down to Tokyo.

It appears from the English JR Hokkaido site that Wakkanai station is not on the list of places where you can exchange or buy this pass. If anyone can understand the Japanese JR Hokkaido site (or through some other resource, I'm not aware of), is there any hope that I can get a pass at Wakkanai station by summer of next year?

Incidentally, I can't use the Hokkaido Free Pass as it's for 7 days and way more expensive than I need...

Either way, thanks for any and all help on this matter.
by mike (guest)  

... 2010/9/17 08:56
I don't think that the English version website is inaccurate or that there are plans to add Wakkanai to the stations for rail pass exchange. But note that regular tickets from Wakkanai to Hakodate cost basically the same as a 3-day Hokkaido Rail Pass and less than a 4-day or 5-day pass.

In order to save some money on regular tickets, make sure to buy just one single base fare ticket for the entire route from Wakkanai to Hakodate (valid over up to 5 days) instead of separate ones for each individual section. Only the express supplements have to be paid separately for each section.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread