Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo for two weeks 2010/9/22 07:40
I'm a student in germany.

I'm interested in japan and want maybe do my practical semster (5-6 months) in japan but before I want go there and travel around Tokyo(shibuya?) to be sure that it is the right decision

My problem:

I want go to japan for 2 weeks
(within 8 february - 15 march)
I need a cheap hotel
(I need only a bed in a room) or somthing like that.
I can speak little bit japanese but not fluently.

Can someone help me ?
by Ryuichi90  

Oak Hotel 2010/9/22 13:03
If you do not mind sharing a room and bathroom with 3 other strangers - then this is the cheapest place I have stayed (2000 yen). It is quite nice with free usage of computers available at the lobby (might have to queue up as stimes it might be busy with ppl - alternatively surf in the early morning!)

The kitchen is available for usage - so you could cook anything light if you want - some of the ppl who stayed there cook eggs/instant noodles for breakfast - thereby saving money on breakfast but go all out during lunch n dinner ; )

No fridge though in the dormitory and you have to bring your own towel (rent is available or you could just buy one)

It is near convenient stores and inaricho tokyo metro station. It is about 10 -15 min walking distance to Ueno JR station. The ppl at the reception understands basic/middle level english and they caters to backpackers/ budget tourists so they could help with lots of planning - like asking for certain places to go etc. So I highly recommend it.

Alternatively - if u r not into sharing - you could find budget place with a single room but shared bathroom - should be around 3000 yen or slightly more. Enjoy the planning!!

For places not in Tokyo - do try K House websites. I have been to K House Fuji and it was good.

http://www.oakhotel.co.jp/english/
by mk88 (guest) rate this post as useful

Kimi Ryokan 2010/9/22 17:17
If you want to try a more Japanese style place, Kimi Ryokan in Ikebukuro is a good place. For 4500 yen/night you get your own room (shared bathroom) with tatami mats and a futon. It's a social place so you will meet lots of new people.
Ikebukuro is one of the biggest stations and very convenient for going to Shinjuku and Shibuya. http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp/

If you prefer a western style hostel, then K's house in Asakusa has a very good reputation.

This is another place I've often seen recommended: http://www.tokyo-weekly-hotel.com/roomrates.shtml
It's not that central, but you will get your own bathroom and mini kitchen for a very low cost.
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2 Weeks 2010/9/23 04:46
Look for shared rooms on the websites posted above or sakura-house. Careful not to find yourself too far from the city center, as transportation is one of the things that will cost quite a lot of money. There are also ways to spend the night without being in a hotel/hostel/guesthouse.

Anyway, 2 weeks in Tokyo is perfect. Try fitting in a couple of day-trips to places outside Tokyo, depending on your budget.

Josh
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Live in japan ? 2010/9/24 05:22
I'm a student in germany and study
tecnical informatic.

I after my study I want life in Japan but my uncel said me it is very hard to life there because allthing is so expensive there and it is difficult get a good payed job.

I'm not sure to get something there , I have a little fear to get nothing and my dream become not true....

So, do someone know the life there ?
how are the chances to get a job there ?
What kind of people want the japanese economy ?
by Ryuichi90 rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/24 07:52
I after my study I want life in Japan but my uncel said me it is very hard to life there because allthing is so expensive there and it is difficult get a good payed job.

There is no major difference in prices between Germany and Japan. Some things are cheaper. Some things are more expensive. It also makes a difference where you live. Housing, for example, is generally more expensive in Tokyo than in the rest of Japan.

But your uncle has a good point with the job argument. You will have to do some efforts and research on that sector. But it is certainly not impossible. In order to find a job in Japan you will need a skill that is needed in Japan and/or connections to potential employers in Japan. And you need to fulfill visa requirements.

If you are a German citizen, you have an easy stepping stone in form of the working holiday visa:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2350.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread