Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving in Noto peninsula in Winter 2010/9/24 03:46
1. Can someone please tell me how long roughly it takes to drive from Kanazawa downtown to Notokongo (in Noto peninsula) via Chirihama beach (assuming 1 hr stoppage time at Chirihama beach) + can you still drive on the beach on Feb 1 ? Is it worth visiting + is it safe to drive to Notokongo that time of year or should we just go as far Chirihama and then continue from there to Wakura onsen for the night ?
2. From Notokongo or Chirihama we plan on driving to Wakura onsen to stay the night, so how long for this drive ?
3. Finally, the next morning, how long to drive to Himi-shi for a 2 hr break and then how long from there back to the Hokuriku expressway (to continue our journey to Shiga Kogen on the same day) ?
by mthk (guest)  

... 2010/9/24 08:59
Can someone please tell me how long roughly it takes to drive from Kanazawa downtown to Notokongo (in Noto peninsula)

About 90 minutes without a stop along the way.

Is it worth visiting

It is not a must-see spot. I would recommend the Noto Peninsula only if you have been to Japan several times before (and seen the more interesting places) or if you have a special interest in rural areas or the specific region.

is it safe to drive to Notokongo that time of year

In the winter there is a risk of snow. If you are not used to driving on the snow, it might not be safe.

or should we just go as far Chirihama and then continue from there to Wakura onsen for the night ?

The detour via Notokongo will have no impact on the safety question. It is as safe to drive from Chirihama directly to Wakura as it is to drive via Notokongo.

From Notokongo or Chirihama we plan on driving to Wakura onsen to stay the night, so how long for this drive ?

About 40 minutes from either location.

Finally, the next morning, how long to drive to Himi-shi for a 2 hr break and then how long from there back to the Hokuriku expressway (to continue our journey to Shiga Kogen on the same day)

Depends on where in Himi. About one hour to the city hall and Himi Station. And then about 3.5 to 4 hours to Shiga Kogen. The street up to Shiga Kogen is one of the scariest roads I ever drove in winter. The steep, curvy road was completely covered in ice in some sections.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/24 20:33
"The street up to Shiga Kogen is one of the scariest roads I ever drove in winter. The steep, curvy road was completely covered in ice in some sections."---I presume you are saying that even with snow tyres, the wheels were spinning which is indeed scary as you could spin out off the side of the mountain ?
I assume on the way down the mountain you were ok ? If that's true then perhaps we should plan our trip up + down during day time, ie: before 4pm when there is reduced chance of ice forming ?
Note we've driven to Kusatsu and Naeba (from Yuzawa side which has a curvy mountain road) in early February in different years and I would say it has not been scary but I can well imagine how bad it could get (like the road from Kamikochi to Takayama).
by mthk (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/24 21:28
I presume you are saying that even with snow tyres, the wheels were spinning which is indeed scary as you could spin out off the side of the mountain ?

Yes, exactly. Fortunately, I was driving uphill, which was slightly less scary than going downhill.

I assume on the way down the mountain you were ok ?

Yes, because I drove uphill in the morning, when everything was still frozen. By the afternoon, when I drove downhill, the ice had mostly melted. Driving in winter conditions can be very dangerous if you are not used to it.

If that's true then perhaps we should plan our trip up + down during day time, ie: before 4pm when there is reduced chance of ice forming ?

It depends on each day. You have to judge by the current conditions. Generalizations are not possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread