Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hyatt Hakone or Hilton Odawara 2010/10/2 23:06
This has probably been asked before, but for those who have stayed at one or the other, what do you think of each of these hotels?

We arrive in Narita on a Wednesday morning, and go straight to the Hakone Region.

We were originally thinking of staying at the Hyatt, but are now considering the Hilton.

It seems the Hilton is in a more populated area with potentially more options for meals, and easier access to/from the region.
by tequilatamm  

Hyatt Regency Hakone Resort and Spa 2010/10/4 12:56
We stayed at the Hyatt for two days last year. It is a nice hotel, but you are correct - it is a bit isolated. The nearest station is Kami-gora station, and the last cable car up the hillside from Gora is at around 7 pm, otherwise taxi would be your only other option to get back to the hotel. The surrounding area seemed like a few hotels in a wooded area - we did not explore the area, as it was a bit too dark in the evening.

We did not visit Odawara, but if you stay in Odawara, in addition to the advantages that you have mentioned, you can immediately go the hotel and drop off your luggage. With the Hyatt, it is in the middle the Hakone circuit, so you would have to look into a luggage forwarding service.
by Green Tea Latte rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/10/8 17:53
Thanks for your thoughts.

We arrive in Narita in the morning, and will be forwarding our luggage to the Westin Miyako in Kyoto anyway, as we are only in the Hakone area for two days, so will only travel with hand luggage.

I didn't know that the last train up to Gora was around 7pm though, so that's good to know and another good reason to stay in Odawara.

It does seem like the area around the Hyatt is rather deserted. I'd imagine that is on purpose, so people can get away and relax with nature, but for us, we'd probably rather be a bit less isolated.

There is still about a 10 minute commute from Odawara station to the Hilton, which is down closer to Nebukawa Station... but I think it will still be easier for commuting into and out of the Hakone area from Narita and to Kyoto.

So I think we'll go with the Hilton on this occasion.
by tequilatamm rate this post as useful

reply to this thread