Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train Platforms 2010/10/7 09:40
Hello,
I have noticed on Wikipedia that a lot of train station maps are given, as well as, what train lines run on what platforms. For example it says that the Nara Line run on platforms 8-10 from Kyoto station. Another example, it states that shinkansen platforms 23 and 24 run to Shin-Osaka from Shinagawa station.
My question is, do train platforms remain consistent or do they change?
I hope this question makes sense.
Thank you in advance!
Danielle
by Danielle (guest)  

. 2010/10/7 12:51
Train platforms remain the same, there is no way unless they physically redesign a train station to move the platforms.

Now if you mean do trains to certain destinations leave from different platforms designated, usually no. If platforms 1-2 are dedicated for trains for say "Nagoya" then trains for Nagoya will generally leave from those platforms. Service changes do happen, but rarely.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

platforms 2010/10/7 13:06
Actually the platforms both change and don't change, but it depends on your perspective. Smaller stations tend to have train lines always running to the same platforms, while larger stations may have the same line appear at different platforms depending on the schedule. In this case from the view of the station, the line would be switching platforms, but from the view of a specific train departing at a specific time the platform is static and doesn't change from day to day.

For example, the ABC Line departs from different platforms at Ueno Station based on the departure time (e.g. the platform 10 at 11:00, platform 1 at 12:00, and platform 10 at 1:00), but the 12:00 train on the ABC Line always departs from platform 1.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/7 13:20
Depends on the station, the train line as well and a whole host of factors.

For example at Shinjuku Station (busiest train station in the world) the yamanote lines are tracks 14-15, the yamanote line will never ever be on any other platform but 14-15. You'll never see the Yamanote Line pull up on track 1, nor would you see any other train line running on tracks 14-15 but the Yamanote Line.

The Shinkansen tracks at Shinagawa Station going in the direction of OSAKA will always have trains going in the direction of Osaka on those trains, trains going in the direction of Tokyo Station will always use the trains written and posted for them.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Confused yet 2010/10/7 15:36
Its not rocket science. Read the signs or note which platform Hyperdia tells you to use for "that" train.
Japanese railways are very well sign posted. Getting about is a breeze.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Don't worry 2010/10/7 17:59
Rest assured: all major train stations have signs in English: all you need to do is look at the monitors: it's very easy, and we had no trouble at all, and neither speak nor read Japanese.
Enjoy your travels!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Thank You! 2010/10/8 02:17
Thank You for your help! I feel I am ready to go!
by Danielle (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread