Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Waiting period for JR Pass processing? 2010/10/7 11:47
I am leaving for Japan in seven days and wish to purchase a JR pass. If I go to a travel agency that sells the pass will I be able to buy one right on the spot or will there be a waiting/processing time?

Thanks in advance
by Geoff (guest)  

.... 2010/10/7 12:04
It might depend where you are but I bought mine earlier in the year from a Brisbane travel agent, was told it would be in within a few days but it took just under two weeks for it to turn up. I don't know if they all do but they order it from somewhere else and it gets sent out to them them on a specific day of the week, they didn't actually issue themselves. Might be worth checking that before you pay.
by pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

exchange order 2010/10/7 12:07
You don't get a pass - you purchase a voucher/exchange order that you use in Japan to obtain the pass.
In NYC where I live I can go into a Japanese travel agent and walk out ten minutes later or so with the exchange order.
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/10/7 12:13
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I realize it's an exchange order not the actual pass. We live in NYC also so we should be able to do the transaction the same day. It appears there is a difference between the "online " price and the "walk-in" price, though. Is it worth shopping around travelagencies to get a better price?
by Geoff (guest) rate this post as useful

Depends on exchange rate... 2010/10/7 17:59
I've never tried the online vendors before, so I can't comment on that. But the walk-in agency I dealt with pretty much charges at price at the day's currency exchange rate with no additional fees (except your local taxes). I just walked in, give some personal info, then walked out with the exchange order in 10 minutes.

The fact that I dealt directly with an authorized dealer may had something to do with that. Here's some in North America:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/05/en05_2.html
by yvrboi (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/7 18:20
I have found it worth shopping around. Some agencies give better exchange rates; some change the rate daily, some weekly and some monthly.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread