Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luggage delivery service times 2010/11/9 16:05
I am travelling from Tokyo to Fukuoka by shinkansen and I have read other posts that advise against taking large luggage onto trains.

I am considering the luggage delivery service and was wondering how long this service takes? I am leaving Tokyo in the morning on the 23/11 and only spending one night in Fukuoka and will be spending the next few nights in Osaka (24/11 onwards). If I send my luggage for delivery on 23/11, is it possible to tell them to deliver to Osaka on 24/11 night which by then I will have arrived?

Thank you.
by FL (guest)  

... 2010/11/9 17:33
I am considering the luggage delivery service and was wondering how long this service takes?

It is typically next day delivery. Only over large distances, it can be two (e.g. to Okinawa or Hokkaido) or even three days (e.g. to a remote island in Okinawa). Within Honshu it usually always next-day.

Specifying a later deliver date is also possible. They can hold the luggage at no additional cost for a small number of days before performing the delivery.

More basics:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Taking luggage 2010/11/9 18:40
It depends on how large your "large luggage" really is, and then a little on how busy the Shinkansen is on the days you travel. In general though, there are is a small section at the "back" of the last seat in each carriage which can store six or so suitcases with relative ease. You can possibly request a seat near this area if you wish to be near your luggage. I assume you will have a JR Pass so you will have to change trains at a station somewhere between Tokyo and Hakata (Fukuoka) but to be honest it will be easy enough to take your luggage with you.

If your luggage is a reasonable size but not huge then there are racks above the seat where you can place your suitcase too.

I've done numerous long train journeys including Tokyo - Osaka, Osaka - Sapporo, Sapporo - Tokyo, Tokyo - Hiroshima etc. with reasonable size suitcases and never had a problem. Last month we travelled Tokyo to Nagoya standing the whole way as the Shinkansen was completely full, but there was still room to place our luggage in the small area behind the last seats.

If you are travelling during peak hour (eg 7:30am) on local line trains then large luggage will be more of an issue.

Enjoy the Sumo! (I assume!)
by GC3 rate this post as useful

ask at hotel 2010/11/11 12:01
Please ask at the Tokyo hotel to deliver your luggage to the Osaka hotel. I think you can move at Fukuoka easily.

You can choose the delivery date , nextday or the day you want to receive, and the time, morning, afternoon, etc.

If it is 'suit case' Kuroneko Yamato ( delivery service company )will offer the suitcase price. 120cm. from Tokyo to Osaka , one suitcase 1,470 yen , I think. Even though bigger size ,heavy suitcase it is same.
If it is not suitcase, it changes the price depend on the size. If it is not suitcase, and the luggage is too big, (more than 30kg)
it may take more time.

by masako (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread