Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Itinerary 2010/12/2 10:38
Hi All,

I am currently planning a trip to Japan, mainly for skiing but also some sight seeing this January. So far the plan is;
28th Arrive in Tokyo for 5 nights including NYE (with Friends)
2nd Travel to Hakuba for a weeks skiing (with Friends)
9th Travel to Kyoto for 4 nights (with my partner)
13th & 14th yet to decide - maybe somewhere like Osaka (with my partner)
15th Travel back to Tokyo to meet up with friends and travel up to Niseko

Our friends will be skiing the whole time but since my girlfriend isn't into skiing that much we thought it best to take time off in-between to see some of Japan. So my questions are;

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do on the 13th & 14th? Is it worth maybe going to Hiroshima?

Is there anything or anywhere I should stop or spend a night on my travels that I haven't listed?

Is it worth getting a rail pass? Even just a 7 day one for travel between Hakuba and Tokyo (9th-15th)

I added up the separate trips from Hakuba to Kyoto to Tokyo and it was approx 23000yen so not sure if it is worth paying the difference (7 day pass is 28300yen) for ease of use, (ie. dont have to buy tickets at each station and flexible to travel elsewhere like Hiroshima for extra days)

Regarding flights how do I go about booking. I can see that the flights from Narita to Sapporo are already full but plenty of flights from Haneda to Sapporo but how do I go about booking the Discount Air Tickets that foreigners get? The booking sites are very confusing.

Thanks,

Bernie
by Bernie (guest)  

... 2010/12/2 11:53
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do on the 13th & 14th? Is it worth maybe going to Hiroshima?

Yes, Hiroshima and Miyajima are highly recommended. But you should also consider other destinations and select based on personal interest:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

Is it worth getting a rail pass?

A rail pass may pay off depending on what destination you select for the 13th and 14th. If you go to Hiroshima, for example, it will pay off.

On a separate note, you could consider to fly to Hokkaido from Osaka or Hiroshima rather than to return to Tokyo once. That could result in considerable savings in transportation costs.

Regarding flights how do I go about booking.

Directly through the airlines is often the cheapest these days. Skymark has particularly low rates:
http://www.skymark.co.jp/en/

For an eventual Osaka-Sapporo or Hiroshima-Sapporo flight (and also the other flights), you could consider an air pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e/2364.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hiro & Miyajima 2010/12/4 10:40
Miyajima is a wonderful place, though i was there in April - do not know how about winter?

+ the famous gardens shall be interresting in every year season, so you might try to visit Okayama (from Kyoto) with its beautiful Korakuen garden - but check for details on it rather(!) ... cause this is recommendation only
by JETELINHO rate this post as useful

reply to this thread