Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shimonoseki to Kyoto/Osaka/etc 2010/12/3 11:38
I'm planning on arriving at Shimonoseki by ferry and going to Kyoto, possibly to Osaka and anywhere else possible.

Can you suggest how I can transport between them - the cheapest ways or any routes. How I can book tickets if needed, etc. Any overnight transportation options too, if there are any.

If there are no cheap methods and I have to use the JR Rail Pass, can you suggest where else to go in Japan from there, within the time that the shortest pass would start,
by Ibl (guest)  

... 2010/12/3 13:03
It depends on the "etc"! Does "etc" refer to other places around Osaka and Kyoto only? Or some places in a completely different region of Japan, e.g. Tokyo?

Also, it depends on how long you will be spending in Japan and the exact itinerary.

Generally speaking, the easiest but not necessarily the cheapest would be a Japan Rail Pass and transportation by shinkansen.

Highway bus transportation generally tends to be the cheapest means of transportation, but Shimonoseki is not a major hub. Ironically, you might be able to travel more cheaply to take the ferry to Fukuoka rather than Shimonoseki, despite Fukuoka being further away from Osaka. As a major transportation hub, Fukuoka has many cheap highway bus connections:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2366.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread