Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reusing tea leaves 2011/2/1 02:44
In general, do the Japanese re-use their tea leaves? If so, how many times? Or do they always make sure to serve it fresh and strong tasting? Does it matter if it is just family or if serving to guests?
by MomotaroPeachBoy  

tea 2011/2/1 08:33
I knew a guy who re-used tea leaves until the drink was nearly clear...yech! it's not as if he saved enough money in a lifetime to be a millionaire.....

I have on occasion got 2, even 3, different cups out of a handful of leaves but it isn't something I would do to guests...
On the other hand you don't want to serve a tea so strong their hair curl up and smoke...practice, practice...

You sure ask some of the most unusual questions ever...what a fascinating person you are!
Enjoy your weak tea...
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

degarashi 2011/2/1 10:40
Red Frog reminds me of my junir high school teacher who used to tell us all these funny stories from his boarding school saying he and his buddies used teabags until the water was clear :)

Basically, you are supposed to change leaves each time the pot gets empty. But at home, you often find yourself re-using the leaves for a couple of tea pot servings or so. We call those leaves "de-garashi." Never do that to your precious guests.

On a related note, when sweeping tatami mats, it's good to sprinkle used damp tea leaves as you sweep them. I often use used tea leaves to wipe off excess grease on plates. It works wonders. You can also eat used leaves by mixing them into your favorite stir-fried dishes or sweets. The media keeps introducing us recipes, although I've never tried them myself.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

nooo 2011/2/1 16:02
Reusing tea leaves is like reusing coffee grounds. Don't do it.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/4 23:51
And how much tea leaves per pot of tea (probably about a 500 ml kettle)? Are we talking about 1 teaspoon or more like 1+ tablespoonfuls?
by MomotaroPeachBoy rate this post as useful

Don't pour boiling water 2011/2/5 16:11
The best water temp. for green tea making is around 50C-60C(120F-140F) & steep~5min. Remember the green tea leaves are not roasted like the black tea but carefully dried. Don't cook it by pouring boiling water. It should give sweet taste, if high quality.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/5 20:31
Okay thanks for the green tea instructions, (very helpful!), but how much tea leaves to put in? Is one teaspoon too little? Should it be more like 1 tablespoon?

... 2011/2/6 13:28
If you are talking about the green tea leaves ("sencha"), then for a potful (ful of one Japanese style teapot, "kyusu," is what I mean) to serve two teacups, I think I use something like two teaspoons. If for a 500ml teapot (which would be large for Japanese home), it might be one tablespoon. For "houjicha," roasted, brown tea leaves, the amount would be far more.

And at home, we reuse the tea leaves for maybe additional two times, over one afternoon, maybe. Never let them sit in the teapot overnight and use it again in the morning.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/6 16:24
Perfect, thanks, all the info I need!

reply to this thread