Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass Limited Express Trains 2011/2/2 12:51
Hello there,

I will be getting a 7 day JR pass for my trip to Japan next month but noticed the fine print states some limited express trains are not covered. At some point during my trip I would like to travel from Ofuna to Shizuoka. Hyperdia recommended taking an express train from Ofuna to Odawara called ''LTD.EXP ODORIKO 115''. Is this express train covered by the JR pass?

I tried clicking on the time tables for more information but all I understood was it does not run very often and I couldn't find a reverse direction.

Thanks in advance!
by Mika (guest)  

Ltd Express 2011/2/2 13:11
I'm curious as to where you have seen something about the JR Pass not being honored on certain Ltd. Express trains - I will also need mine for that type of train in the Kyoto area....can you provide a link, please?
I would certainly think the pass is fine on the line you indicated though.....
I have found the JR Office where I live in NYC very helpful with questions on particular train routes...
by Maranyc (guest) rate this post as useful

Link 2011/2/2 13:30
Sure, it is over here on the railway section:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

The "With some exceptions" part confuses me. Maybe it only refers to the parts listed but I would like to be 100% sure!
by Mika (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2011/2/2 13:50
I thought that was the page you meant but I couldn't find it, thanks!
Like I say your best bet is to contact a JR office in your area directly.
But it seems the issue with the limited express is with a private compartment or in an area which is combined with a non JR line.
by Maranyc (guest) rate this post as useful

non JR lines 2011/2/2 15:05
Hi,

I think Maranyc is right. Some JR limited express trains run on the tracks of different companies for part of their journey, so there is an added fee to use those trains along those sections. Indeed, it seems that the Odoriko Limited Express trains run along the tracks of a different company past Ito Station. However, if you are traveling between Ofuna and Odawara Stations then I think you dont need to pay any extra fees. You'd only need to pay if you traveled past Ito Station. You can find more information on the following page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2368.html
by Terminator2 rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/2 17:26
For the section you mentioned (Ofuna-Odawara) you can ride the train without problems.

You can also use the Tokaido Line as well.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread