Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hyperdia start & destination station? 2011/2/3 20:00
If I can work the system Hyperdia will solve so many of my trip transport queries.
I recently spent 2 hours trying to get the correct start station for the Namba to Kyosan, Nankai route.

Now I'm in the same maze again. I know that my best route from Namba to Nara is the Kentutsu route . I need the details but can't persuade Hyperdia to give them to me.
I realise that it all has to do with guessing the correct start & destination stations.
I tried Namba to Nara.
It starts me off at Namba[Nankai] !!
I know that kintetsu is the short route BUT
I tried 'Namba Kintetsu' & 'Kintetsu namba'
& 'Kintetsu-Namba' & Namba[Kintetsu]

"Start point not found"

I dread asking Kyoto to Tokyo details etc etc.
Is there a simple format of entering a city or area & getting the best timetables for whatever station/line does it most efficiently ??

by peter ross (guest)  

... 2011/2/3 21:14
I know that my best route from Namba to Nara is the Kentutsu route

2 spelling mistakes in a single word. It is Kintetsu. Spelling is crucial when it comes to Hyperdia!

But, indeed, sometimes you need more than correct spelling. Furthermore, Hyperdia is really bad at recognizing alternative spellings.

When looking up Namba to Nara, you have to know that Kintetsu's station in Nara is called "Kintetsu Nara" (don't enter a space character or hyphen between Kintetsu and Nara, as Hyperdia is too stupid to deal with space and hyphen characters) rather than just "Nara". Correct station names are usually mentioned on the transportation pages of this website's sightseeing guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4107.html

As for Namba, select "Namba (Subway)".

But generally, more often than not, the station name is straight forward.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hyperdia 2011/2/4 05:34
I have found that using capitals letters only often works better....

Don't forget also to tick all sorts of transit choices, and un-tick Nozomi, airplanes etc.

You have to be careful about start time a Hyperdia may default to a time when there are less or no trains.

Having another internet page open, where you can check where a station is, helps too a sometime hyperdia suggest a list of stations but some--that look like the one you want--may be in a different area of Japan.

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread